Author Topic: Beginners question about Scotland's people  (Read 6283 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners question about Scotland's people
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 11 08:36 BST (UK) »
Point was trying to make was that just cos not in OPR or Catholic Registers didn;t mean it hadn't happened. I've found several not in OPR but in Kirk Sessions (Free, UP and Presby)

You are quite right. But even though there was unrest before 1843, none of these churches actually existed, and therefore there are no records of them, before 1843, and the original query relates to a marriage in 1824.

Also the Church of Scotland, Free Church of Scotland, United Presbyterian (UP), Free Presbyterian, United Free etc etc are all Presbyterian. There is no denomination in Scotland which calls itself simply 'Presbyterian' because that term already applies to the Church of Scotland.

The main Christian denominations in Scotland that are not Presbyterian are the Roman Catholic and Episcopalian churches, and there are some surviving registers of these denominations which do contain information aboute events before 1843.

There are also some more recent ones like the Baptist Church, Congregrational Church, Society of Friends (Quakers), Latter Day Saints (Mormons), Jehovah's Witnesses, an assortment of Brethren (Close Brethren, Open Brethren, Plymouth Brethren) and various evangelical groups (Church of the Nazarene, Church of Christ etc) who may or may not be organised on a tiered committee system resembling Presbyterianism. However all of these are irrelevant in terms of a query about an 1824 event.

I wish I could find that diagram of the splits and recombinations of the churches in Scotland - it used to be on the web site of St Nicholas Buccleuch Church in Dalkeith but it has disappeared and a Google search failed to find it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 July 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
I wish I could find that diagram of the splits and recombinations of the churches in Scotland - it used to be on the web site of St Nicholas Buccleuch Church in Dalkeith but it has disappeared and a Google search failed to find it.

Is this the one you are looking for, Forfarian? http://website.lineone.net/~davghalgh/churchhistory.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 July 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
Is this the one you are looking for, Forfarian? http://website.lineone.net/~davghalgh/churchhistory.html
Very nearly! It looks pretty similar, but it's not the exact one. Thanks.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 July 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Could this be the family in 1841?

Westerkirk -Dumfries-shire
Old Hopsrig

1841 Census
JACKSON William M 45 Shepherd Dumfries-shire
JACKSON Janet F 35 Dumfries-shire
JACKSON Anne F 11 Dumfries-shire
JACKSON George M 9 Dumfries-shire
JACKSON James M 6 Dumfries-shire
JACKSON William M 5 Dumfries-shire
JACKSON Janet F 3 Dumfries-shire
JACKSON Thomas M 1 Dumfries-shire

Terry
Added- There is an IGI extracted record for an Anne Jackson c- 13/6/1830 Westerkirk, parents William Jackson and Janet Porteous. Would tie in with Anne aged 11 above.?
Yes that's them and that is the potential maiden name I got on the IGI
Chesterfield(especially Holymoorside, Old Brampton, New Brampton and Whittington)
HOWE, FURNISS,FURNESS,LOWE, LOWDE
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 July 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the info, I am still looking into it, and my mother has that obituary.  I am trying to find out the source of that obituary too as it gives so much info on our family tree! :)
And sorry I didn't reply sooner-internet problems!
Chesterfield(especially Holymoorside, Old Brampton, New Brampton and Whittington)
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:06 BST (UK) »

What is his wife's name?

It was Janet/Jessie.  There are several trees on Ancestry which have her surname as 'Porteous' or 'Portious'.  The census records say she was from Hoddom and why I'm kinda suspicious is that I think the Porteous family were quite well to do in Hoddom and also I have seen other census records for a Janet Porteous born around the same time 1803-1805 who is still known as Janet Porteous(when my Janet was married and therefore Janet Jackson).  Also I can't find sources for the Ancestry trees, they all seem to have got the name from other Ancestry trees.
Guess I'm just a suspicious person! ;)
I think I have to leave it for a while it's driving me crazy!
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
How did you get back to William Jackson?

Is his Wife's name given on the children's marriage/death certificates?

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi NewRhi

Did William Jackson live beyond 1855? If so his death record should give his wife/wives names along with his parent's names.

As Ann says, pre 1855 there was no requirement to record births/deaths/marriages
Yes he lived till 1888 and thanks for the idea, I must now eat my words as I have bought more SP credits, found the death record and his wife was indeed Janet Porteous.  Thank you very much! ;D
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Which of their children are you descended from?