Author Topic: Can you look up Fowlis Wester MIs?  (Read 16354 times)

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you look up Fowlis Wester MIs?
« on: Saturday 30 October 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
If you have MIs for Fowlis Wester, would you mind looking up Marshall families:

William Marshall dod 1857 and his wife Emily (Amelia) Murray dod 1856;
John Marshall dod 1894 and his wife Nicholas Young  dod (?);
Ann Roy (nee Marshall) dod 1874;
Dr William Marshall dod 1884.

I know for certain that William and Emily were burried in Fowlis Wester, as was Dr Marshall. 

I would love to know what inscription(s) say and if they can lead to other family connections.

Thanks a lot.
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you look up Fowlis Wester MIs?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 10 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Scots Roots produce a CD with the Fowlis Wester MIs and pictures of the stones. Of the people you mention, the only one I could see was the doctor: according to the transcription he was born 26 Aug 1834 at Meckehin and died 22 Dec 1884 at Crieff. He was a physician to Queen Victoria, and the stone was erected by his father John, of Crieff.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for information.  It is appreciated.
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 November 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Re:  Marshall family of Fowlis Wester area.  Dr. Wm Marshall, buried in the Fowlis Wester cemetery,  was a first cousin to my maternal grandmother.  His mother, Nicholas (Young) Marshall died 1 Aug 1892.  I do not know of the Wm Marshall and Emily (Amelia) - can you tell me where they fit in?

I have other famiy information that I am willing to share.

Dorothy, in Canada

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 November 13 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have just looked up the MI book for Fowlis Wester (The revised 2000 by Alison Mitchell) and
there is no Marshall memorials in the book. The MIs in this book are all pre 1855 unless they relate to earlier stones

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 November 13 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have just looked up the MI book for Fowlis Wester (The revised 2000 by Alison Mitchell) and
there is no Marshall memorials in the book. The MIs in this book are all pre 1855 unless they relate to earlier stones

Yours Aye
BruceL

Hi BruceL
With respect, the MI (meaning monumental inscription?) book that you have for Fowlis Wester may be incomplete.  I have visited this cemetery, and as noted by one other contributor, there IS a headstone for Dr. William Marshall - I photographed it.  There is a lengthy inscription on it which includes something like:  Wm was "a faithful and loyal servant of the Queen from 1871-1881".

As one enters the Fowlis Wester Churchyard, Dr. Wm Marshall's headstone is a short distance in, on the left side of the path, and fairly close to the path.  I suspect is is of granite, and was in excellent condition when I last visited it in 2009.

Happy hunting.

Dorothy in Canada

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 November 13 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Yours Aye
BruceL

Hi BruceL
With respect, the MI (meaning monumental inscription?) book that you have for Fowlis Wester may be incomplete.  I have visited this cemetery, and as noted by one other contributor, there IS a headstone for Dr. William Marshall - I photographed it.  There is a lengthy inscription on it which includes something like:  Wm was "a faithful and loyal servant of the Queen from 1871-1881".

As one enters the Fowlis Wester Churchyard, Dr. Wm Marshall's headstone is a short distance in, on the left side of the path, and fairly close to the path.  I suspect is is of granite, and was in excellent condition when I last visited it in 2009.

Happy hunting.

Dorothy in Canada

Ahh, sorry, BruceL, I should read more carefully!!  I just realized your book contains records PRE 1855!  That's why the Marshall MI isn't there!! 

Does your book have MIs for James Young and either of his wives (Betty Miller or Mary McVicar)?  Betty d. pre-1817 (her last child was born 1815), & James re-married, to Mary 1817.  The last census in which James and Mary reliably appear is 1841.

James & Betty Young were the maternal grandparents of Wm Marshall.

Dorothy in Canada

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, Dorothy and Bruce, for posting.

Dorothy I received your personal message and have responded.  You are correct in saying that Wm. and Emily (Amelia) are Dr. Marshall's paternal grandparents.

Bruce thank you for looking up the MI transcriptions.  As Dorothy realised Dr. Marshall's is post 1855.

I visited the Fowlis Wester churchyard in October and saw the gravestone for Dr. Marshall.  Unfortunately, it was raining and the ground was sodden so I didn't spend long there.  A very beautiful setting though.

Regards.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I have had a look in the book I have for the names you mentioned and could find nothing I am afraid

Yours Aye
BruceL