Author Topic: James Stewart bC1828 Foss Perthshire  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Stewart bC1828 Foss Perthshire
« on: Friday 02 May 14 07:00 BST (UK) »
During the course of my family history research,I have discovered reference to the grave of James Stewart who died 6 Dec 1881 at Buchan Victoria Australia.He was aged 53 and was buried on the property of my ancestors at Sunny Point near Buchan.
James is said to have been a son of Joseph Stewart of Inverness Shire.
James is thought to have been a grazier.
There was a marble Gothic headstone commissioned from Melbourne.
The grave was situated on a grassy hillside above the Sunny Point homestead.

I wondered if someone has knowledge of this person?
Probably a long shot.

I hope someone is interested.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Stewart bC1828 Foss Perthshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 May 14 05:43 BST (UK) »
A little further information has come to light.
There must be Will dated 21 Jul 1875 relating to James William Stewart of Foss,Parish of Dull Perth.
He had a brother Joseph Stewart and sister Henrietta Stewart.
Not known if they came to Australia.

Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 May 14 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lazarus,
I have no connection to the Stewart family, but your post interested me. I hope someone out there is connected :)
I wonder if this is James with his family on the 1851 Census - address Pitt Street Edinburgh.

Stewart       Margaret       Head       W       F       64       Annuitant & Propritrix        Midlothian, Edinburgh           
Stewart       Alexr Jas       Son       U       M       30       Writer To Signet - Practising        Perth ,Moulin           
Stewart       Henerrita       Dau       U       F       25               Perth, Moulin           
Stewart       James Wm       Son       U       M       21               Perth,Moulin           
Stewart       Catherine       Servant       U       F       55       House Servant        Inverness-shire            
McArthur       Mrgaret       Servant       U       F       19       House Servant        Perth, Killin           

All spellings above are as transcribed on www.freecen.org.uk       
Looby :)

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 May 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Looby.
Yes. I hope someone out there might find a connection.
I will have to rely on your advice as to the location.
I am uncertain as to his birth year and just when he came to Australia.\A sister Henrietta ( sic ) is there but no brother Joseph.

Lazarus

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 May 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lazarus,
Found the birth of a Joseph Stewart at Dull to a Joseph Stewart and Margaret Pollock - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VQ7G-F5X

Same couple? with a Henrietta and a James William -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQMY-XPP
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQMY-NX8

There are other births to this couple - James Alexander 1820 (probably the Alexr Jas on 1851), an Isabella 1822, a Frances Helen 1823, a Neil Hendry 1826.
Don't know where last 3 are at 1851 Census - could be dead :-\ - could be away from home. Same applies to Joseph. He appears to be the oldest (maybe emigrated?).
A Catherine Stewart from Invernessshire is listed as a servant - I wondered if she could be a relative given your information regarding Jospeh snr, being  from there.
Of course the family on the Census etc may not be the right one but they certainly appear to fit the profile,
Looby :)

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much looby.
I had overlooked that you had responded previously.
Like you I hope there is a connection for someone out there.
So far as I can determine he was not connected to my Wyatt family.

Rex