Author Topic: Gravestones, Llanegryn.  (Read 16811 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gravestones, Llanegryn.
« on: Wednesday 20 February 13 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootchatters,
Would anyone happen to know if there is anywhere on here that I could possibly find a list of gravestones at St Mary's/St Egryns Church, Llanegryn, as this is where I believe my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents were buried. I have tried emailing the vicar of the church but he informed me he was sure they didn't have a list of burials at the church, but would check with the rector and get back to me, that was quite some time ago so trying other avenue's now.
Here's hoping,
Retpara.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestones, Llanegryn.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
This list may be of help;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/MER_PR.html

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
There are burials on http://www.findmypast.co.uk

You can search for free but need to pay to see the details or images.

I took a picture of the church yard but can only read two of the names. One, Mary Blodwen Jones, who died in 1931 is in the records. Others go back to at least 1730.

I have pictures of some internal memorials but they are of the local gentry.

What is the name you are looking for?

David

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Might be going to Dolgellau Archives tomorrow. What are the names/residences you're interested in.
Emyr

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 13 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Many thanks for your replies, I'm sure they will all help, sorry for the delay in reply, computers been down. My Gt Gt Grandparents were a Hugh and Gwen Angel that lived in Tycroes Farm between Llanegryn and Rhoslefain, close to Castell Fawr Farm. Gwen died in 1865 and Hugh died in the 4th Quarter if 1885.
Many thanks again for the help,
Retpara.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 February 13 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a burial for Hugh but Gwen was buried in Llangelynin on 26th October 1865

This church is now closed for services but well worth a visit if you are in the area, as is Llanegryn.

There are three trees on Ancestry with descendants of two of their daughters, Gwen and Elizabeth but not for Margaret. One has a picture of Elizabeth and her son, David Owen Lewis.

Hugh had been married before and I think it would have been to Elizabeth Lewis on 3rd May 1836. There is a burial for her in 1838 in Llanegryn.

There are more Angel records but I can't find a baptism for Hugh that fits with his date of birth. The only one is in Llanaber but 1799.

David

P.S. There is a will of Mary Angel of Towyn in 1843 which mentions a nephew, Hugh Angel. This could be the same person - see http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

Just enter Angel under name.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 February 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi DCB,
Many many thanks for the information supplied, regarding Gwen's burial it seems that I got it wrong, I thought they had beeen buried in Llanegryn, as this was the church where they got married, possibly Hugh might have been buried with his first wife then Elizabeth?
With regards to the family trees mine is the Winter tree which I have collated on Ancestry.
Then regarding Hugh on all census's states he was born in Pennal, near Machynlleth so not sure what areas you have access to, with regards to the will I did manage to find that earlier, so once again, many many thanks for the time and effort that you have put in with all this I hope to visit the area some time in the summer.
Regards,
Retpara.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 February 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
There are many Angels in the burial index for Towyn but no baptisms or marriages and nothing in the Pennal area.

Hugh omitted a father's name in the marriage register and so may be a bit confused about his origins, although his aunt lived in Towyn. The archives in Dolgellau has a transcription of many Towyn records and it might be worth checking there.

David

Offline meganlallen08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 April 13 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,
I am seeking a death record or cemetery marker for Humphrey and Elizabeth Griffiths.
Humphrey born 1776, married to Elizabeth Lloyd in 1815 in Llanegryn, lived in Llanegryn in 1841.
I believe that Elizabeth was the daughter of Hugh Lloyd

Names of Humphrey & Eliz children were: Thomas, Humphrey Jr. Jane, Hugh, John, and William. 
Thomas, Humphrey Jr. and jane died in New York.  William died in Pennsylvania.  Hugh and John stayed in Wales.

Can anyone advise on where to find death record for Humphrey and Elizabeth Griffiths?
Thanks in advance.