Author Topic: Johannah Greenaway/Greenway of Sedgley b1857  (Read 1184 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Johannah Greenaway/Greenway of Sedgley b1857
« on: Monday 22 September 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Greetings.

Johanna/Johannah/Joanna/Jonna Greenaway/Greenway. Birth registered at Dudley Q4/1857 6c99. (There is an ealier one born 1853 but died 1854). Daughter of Joseph and Mary.

Problem

There are two Johannah's in the 1881 census!

Johannah Dando née Greenaway, married in 1878 to Noah and living at 51b High St. Kates Hill with Noah's parents.

Johanna Greenway, single, unemployed nailer, living with parents Joseph and Mary at 64 Himley Rd. Lwr Gornal. (Lots of Greenaways living in Himley Rd!!).

I would be very grateful if some kind soul could put me out of my misery and help me see the wood for the trees.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Johannah Greenaway/Greenway of Sedgley b1857
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 September 14 11:10 BST (UK) »
Very strange, as Marriage to Noah has her Father as Joseph.
Maybe she hid the Marriage ???
Parents enumerated her as living with them when she wasnt?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish; the same thought had crossed my mind although two young children might be difficult to ignore?

By the way, the English recaptured Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1492 so it is no longer in Scotland ;)

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
If you look at the 1871 and the 1881 census they are both the same address so I think its either a case of she was visiting her parents and they forgot to enter her married name or maybe someone filled in the form for them and just took it that she was unmarried on the night of the census

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Quote;
By the way, the English recaptured Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1492 so it is no longer in Scotland ;)

Is this referring to my Surname List ?
(which is must update as I havent since I joined Rootschat)
I am referring to Chirnside, Berwickshire ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
I must confess my mischief :-X

Malcolm
gedmatch.com A006809