Author Topic: Isabella Sawyer  (Read 5112 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Isabella Sawyer
« on: Friday 26 September 14 05:38 BST (UK) »
Seeking some help to find the parents of Isabella Sawyer.

The information I have so far, is from the 1881 census RG11/2733/152/1
Here she is described as the granddaughter of James Sawyer 79, and Elizabeth Sawyer 80. According to the census, she was born in Shelton Staffs, and is aged 29, which makes her possible birth 1852.

I have also found a possible census in 1871 as a border in Stoke on Trent, aged 20, which is about the right age.

I have been unable to find her parents. I have found a possible birth registration for her, at Wolstanton Staffs, 1853 March Quarter Vol 6b page 109.

Other than buying the certificate, how could I find her parents.
As she is not a direct ancestor, I am reluctant to purchase the certificate.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

A Chesters

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Sawyer
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 September 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
Getting the entry of birth is the only sure fire way.

You could try eliminating the impossible (the Sherlock Holmes approach).  In 1861 Isabella appears as niece with William and Charlotte Coxon.  This implies Charlotte was aunt and Sawyer.  In 1841 at Sneyd Green, Burslem:  James, Elizabeth, children Charlotte, Isabella, Joseph, David & Mary.  1851 same location with younger son James 10 and granddaughter Eliza 6.

It appears Isabella married Robert Stewart 1848.  Appears Joseph died 1840.

David baptised Wesleyan Burslem 11 Aug 1834 James Sawyer, Elizabeth Oakes (see IGI and the other place).  Recorded with family 1841 & 1851, but no trace afterwards.  (Note:  IGI baptisms for David 1834 gives Elizabeth Oakes, Charlotte 1824 just Elizabeth and Isabella 1826 Elizabeth Burchnall, yet the 1841 census indicates they were siblings.)

Mary b. 1838 appears died 1854.  Very young, but possible illegit birth.  James really was too young.

Mary looks the most likely, but it's far from solid.  Maybe someone out there has access to baptisms, though if illegit Isabella may not have been baptised.

Good hunting, Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 September 14 10:31 BST (UK) »
Isabella despite her given birthplace of Hanley shows on Staffordshire BMD as born in the Burslem Sub-District in 1853 with a mother's maiden name of Clarke.This would fit with the given birth in the Wolstanton District in 1853.As far as a possible Sawyer/Clarke marriage,the only one I can find is one between a Joseph Sawyer and an Elizabeth Clarke which took place at Cobridge Christ Church in 1848.I'm unable to find Joseph and Elizabeth in the 1851 Census but there is a problem it seems for Elizabeth shows in 1861 and 1871 as married but there is no sign of Joseph?She also shows in 1871 with children born in the 1860s.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 September 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
It seems the available Trees for the Joseph Sawyer,Isabella's father,that are showing on Ancestry are  of very much the "nearly correct" variety!I believe the man we are looking for was born in 1831 the son of James and Elizabeth Sawyer.Again though a few Trees on Ancestry list the one born in 1831 they do not include a marriage for him.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 September 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
Looks like WRJ is on the right track.  The Elizabeth in 1861 with absent husband had a son Joseph aged 1 and IGI has baptism 29 Dec 1859 Northwood by Stoke on Trent, parents Joseph Sawyer and Elizabeth (no maiden name given).

I've encountered parted spouses before.  It is possible that Joseph was in prison or abroad, but further children works against that.  At sea, or in the army, perhaps?  He could just have moved to find work, but I can't see anything in censuses to support that.

Anyway, the real handicap is that Isabella does not appear with her parents.
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 September 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
The Charlotte Sawyer is quite interesting.She married a William Harrison at Wolstanton St Margaret in 1841.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXPL-6W9

I'm puzzled as to how she is showing as married to a William Coxton in 1861.I'm not finding her apparent marriage to the William Coxton?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 September 14 04:41 BST (UK) »
Dion and William, thanks for your help

Dion, in your first reply you are correct, as far as I can verify, regarding Isabella marrying Robert Stewart. I followed the tree backwards from my own to this point, with my ggrandfather marrying the illegitimate daughter of Isabella, daughter of James and Elizabeth. Isabella and Robert married in 1848, and then moved to Northumberland.

William,  In your first reply, I think that you have got the information I have not been able to work out. I will have to do a lot more work following up the information you have given, and the Harrison and/or Coxon connection will prove to be interesting to work out.

Again, many thanks for your interest and help. Now to do more work. :o :o

AC

Offline Debs111

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 October 14 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Isabella was my great great grandmother and had three children out of wedlock. Isabella took two and emigrated to Canada. I have researched her family back to 1806 if this helps

Regards

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 October 14 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Debs and welcome to Rootschat.

I would be very interested in any information you have, as I have found, so far, that she is somewhat elusive.

When you have completed three posts, you can then PM me with any information you are willing to share.

Many thanks for the information she is traceable.

A Chesters