Author Topic: Misspelling of GRO index entry  (Read 1436 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Misspelling of GRO index entry
« on: Wednesday 05 April 06 08:14 BST (UK) »
Just out of (sad person) interest, I looked for my own GRO birth index in Ancestry Beta recently, and found that my name 'CLARE' (the one I've always been called, the one that's on my birth certificate) had been typewritten as 'CLARA' (ie this was the original scanned document, not your usual Ancestry typo).

I was, obviously, rather surprised, but thinking about it, does that mean 'officially' that my name is Clara rather than Clare?  ???

Clare/Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline peterb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Misspelling of GRO index entry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 08:33 BST (UK) »
Clare, The name on your cert. is probably your correct name. Is your name on the cert. typed, or photocopied from the original register? The fact that the indexer typed it as Clara means nothing, except that they possibly got it wrong.

Cheer up,

PeterB
Berry Ripley Hedley Wilkinson
Stringer Wright Plummer Wilson
Clay Wilkinson Rhodes Dalby
Wilson Ormond Leach Barker                                                                                                                        http://berry-family.rootschat.net/

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
hi PeterB

Thanks for that - my birth certificate is handwritten, (but definitely CLARE!), so the GRO indexer has just mistranscribed it?

I'm not about to throw myself off the nearest bridge over it  ;), but I was surprised at the error - I even rang my mum in a fit of identity crisis!

best wishes
Clare
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London

Offline peterb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
Clare,

It could have been worse. One of my ancestors married a chap by the name of Quirk. The registrar wrote it down as Quck, and there it is on the cert. and in the index.

Cheers,

PeterB
Berry Ripley Hedley Wilkinson
Stringer Wright Plummer Wilson
Clay Wilkinson Rhodes Dalby
Wilson Ormond Leach Barker                                                                                                                        http://berry-family.rootschat.net/

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 09:21 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, that's not nice!

I suppose Clara's not too bad - a certain cachet, do you think?  ;)

best wishes

Clara