Author Topic: The Four (or should it be five?) Heatons in Stockport  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Four (or should it be five?) Heatons in Stockport
« on: Monday 17 November 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I thought I knew the Four Heatons but has anyone heard of "Teddy High Lane"? I have a couple of entries from there on the 1861 and 1871.

It should be somewhere between Shawfold Farm and Broomfield.

Thanks
Ray

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Four (or should it be five?) Heatons in Stockport
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 November 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Stockport but had never heard of the lane.  This extract of a gazette mentions Teddy High Lane when is describes the boundaries of District Parish of St John, Heaton Chapel.  Based on this and looking at the six inch  1888-1913 map on the National Library of Scotland site  I wonder whether it became Mauldeth Road??

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/21296/page/634/data.pdf

Kay

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Kay. Unfortunately, following the line described, it all seems to go pear shaped when you reach "Broomfield"!

I don't think its Mauldeth Road. That heads off to the NW whereas Teddy High Lane is supposed to head off to the NE towards Shaw Brook (wherever that is). There is a path crossing the fields in roughly the right place - roughly following Buckingham Road West. The problem with that is that there appear to be no houses along there in the time period I'm looking at.

I've a copy of the tithe maps somewhere; must dig them out. I was also born in Stockport and worked in the Heatons for 17 years but I've never come across Teddy High Lane before. It doesn't even sound as though its belongs there!

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 14 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I must admit the description had me scratching my head!! Shaw Brook runs on the north side of Mauldeth Hall I think, flowing westwards towards Burnage

Good Luck Kay

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Four (or should it be five?) Heatons in Stockport [COMPLETED THANKS]
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Found it!

The tithe maps were no use; the ones I have are for south of the river, but I did turn up an ancient map I copied years ago. I'm not sure of the date but it shows the Stockport Canal but not the correct line of the railway - I'd guess around 1800.

As to Teddy High Lane, its actually "Teddy Hay Lane" and comprises the four dog-legs from "Broomfield" back to Heaton Moor Road shown on the six inch map. There is one building on it (now somewhere beneath Alan Road) and I assume this is where the family I'm looking at were living. Two of the children were involved in rope and twine making and there was a rope walk at Moor Top.

QED

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Well found  A very useful map to have :)