Author Topic: Trying to find my Blackburn roots, before 1840s  (Read 5252 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find my Blackburn roots, before 1840s
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've just read the article, seems that it's the same man as the one we've been following   :)
His address on the 1841 census is difficult to read but it looks to me something like Kingdom Brook.
Also I missed the occ for James on the same census, it's joiner.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 23:11 GMT (UK) »
The GRO certificate will not give you any further information than the original parish register entry which has been transcribed on Lan-opc.  Ancestry has the original image and it does just state Blackburn for the address.  A copy of the parish register was sent to the local Register Office who in turn sent quarterly returns to the GRO.

Hi Mo, thanks for that information. Unfortunately I had already put in my £10 order to the GRO for a copy of the cert :( I'm a bit surprised when the registration district is Blackburn that the address given in the cert wouldn't be any more specific, but that's that I guess. Thanks for the help! I don't think it's possible to push that line back any further, but as I said earlier I'm quite happy as after 3 years of solid research here in Ireland this is the first time to postively (well, pretty much) find 18th century births in John Dunn and Thomas Pollard.

Hi,
I've just read the article, seems that it's the same man as the one we've been following   :)
His address on the 1841 census is difficult to read but it looks to me something like Kingdom Brook.
Also I missed the occ for James on the same census, it's joiner.

Thanks for finding that out for me rolnora, I appreciate it! Not sure I'll be able to link it in to anything now, but its worth me keeping an eye on in the future if I find some other new information at some stage. Thanks again.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
The address on the 1841 census is Knuzden Brook.

Knuzden is an area of Blackburn going towards Oswaldtwistle/Church/Accrington.

In addition can I just refer to the earlier reference of the occupation of 'Crofter'. This might not be what you think -- a 'Crofter' was also a 'Bleacher' in the Cotton trade. Much more likely in the areas under discussion.

Again 'chemist' -- was sometimes used for those workers who mixed dyes and things like that -- for the cotton trade.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find any siblings for Hannah, so I looked for a death for her mother but couldn't find one. I looked for a birth for Jane/Jenny Gudgeon and the only one I found died as a small child. cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this was her mother :-\:
Burial
24th March, 1837 St Paul, Blackburn
Ginny Pollard, Age 56 Years of Blackburn
Buried by J. Price

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this was her mother :-\:
Burial
24th March, 1837 St Paul, Blackburn
Ginny Pollard, Age 56 Years of Blackburn
Buried by J. Price

Mo

I've just been looking at this and there is a baptism that I think matches it

Baptism: 4 Feb 1781 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
Jinney Gudgon - [Child] of Thomas Gudgon & Mary
    Abode: Blackburn

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 22:06 GMT (UK) »
So is it stretching it a bit to think that the marriage of Thomas And Jenny in 1809 could possibly be Jinney/Ginny ???

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 22:10 GMT (UK) »
The address on the 1841 census is Knuzden Brook.

Thanks Pennines for correcting that address. :)

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 November 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Rolnora, Pennines, clatyon bradley, and Mo, thank you all so much for helping me out with this!  :)

Yes, there does seem to be quite a good case for Ginny Pollard (d 1837), Jenny Pollard (m 1809), and Jinney Gudgeon (b 1781) all being the same person. I haven't come across the name before as Jenny wouldn't be a common name at all among working-class Irish Catholics in the 19th Cent., but would Jenny/Ginny/Jinney all be acceptable variations of the one name?

My hunch would make me think my Hannah Pollard was probably the Hannah born to Thomas and Jenny in 1813. And certainly Jenny Gudgeon is  good candidate too. I notice that in Hannah's childrens' baptisms in 1838 and '39, the Godparents' names are: H. Ingram, Mary Shorrock, John Moxton, and Catherine Casey, so with the exception of the last name, all English names. I presume Godparents would have to be Catholics themselves, which may have reduced the possible candidates among Hannah Pollard's own family if she did indeed come from a CoE background. Ingram, Shorrock, and Moxton aren't names I've come across going through possible Pollard BDMs on lan-opc.

There doesn't seem to be anything cropping up so far to provide a really solid case for linking Hannah Pollard back to some of those families we have mentioned.

Hannah and Patrick's first born children in Blackburn were Jane and James; their other children were Catherine, Rosanna, Patrick, Margaret, and Mary Dunn. No Jenny interestingly (but no Thomas or John either, which we know were the married couple's fathers' names). This doesn't seem to point to much of a pattern in tracing Hannah Pollard's family in Blackburn. Thomas Pollard of Church Kirk did have a son James and a mother-in-law Rosemon, but to be quite honest, I am pretty sure this Thomas Pollard was not a warper and his daughter "Ann" seems to have died in 1817.

(Edit: I only just copped on that the Dunn's first-born, Jane, might well indeed have been named after a Ginny or Jenny Pollard).

Thanks for the clarification on Knuzden Brook, great to have some local knowledge to clarify these things! I've been trying to locate "Sawyers Court" where Patrick Dunn and Hannah lived in 1841, but without any luck, I presume it must be long gone. Does anybody have an idea where it might have been?

Thanks also for clarification of different occupations at the time, I certainly thought Crofter was an agricultural job. Its only now I look it up I realise that it generally was only used in Scotland at that time.

I found this little nugget in a local Blackburn newspaper for May 1841, I would think there is a strong chance it refers to my Patrick Dunn, joiner (not sure that it can shed any light on the family tree though!):
"Patrick Dunn, a joiner in the employ of Mr. W. Dickenson, was charged with assaulting his master. Defendant had been dismissed from complainant's service, and on leaving there was some dispute between him and his master, both of whom apparently lost their temper, complainant striking at Dunn with his fist, and Dunn returning the blow with his axe, which he took out of his kit for that purpose. Ordered to pay the expenses and find sureties."
Seems a light sentence for taking an axe to man, I thought in those days that you got sent to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread! I won't complain though.

Thanks again for all your great help!