Author Topic: park  (Read 3318 times)

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
park
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:10 GMT (UK) »
hi could anyone tell me if theyve found a link between mungo park and martha and isabelle/a park? i know there is one, as i am a direct descendent of isabella sister of martha and daughter of margaret anderson and john park, i cant find the connection yet to mungo the explorere, but i know there is a connection as my great aunt used to get an annual letter and some sort of payment with it, im not sure what the payment was or the letter for that matter, my mum mentioned it to be something to do with the mungo park direct descendent foundation or something of that sort, the money was not life changing but in hard times im sure it still dont its bit, i am really intrigued by the character mungo and would love to find the connection, i have came across many people saying they are descendants (including me til a prove it), aswell as people from africa where he explored he seemed quite a guy,... anything atoll would be appreciated

Cheers Ryan

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: park
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Try contacting the Museum Service of Scottish Borders Council they have a exhibit on Mungo Park at the Courtroom Museum in Selkirk alongside the exhibit on Sir Walter Scott.  They might be able to guild you in the right direction.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 21:37 GMT (UK) »
You have had a busy genealogy day today on lots of your lines, Ryan  ;D

John Park, have you confirmed his parents' names from his death cert? Hard for you to even begin to trace back without this info.

From the same online tree I mentioned earlier for your Stewart line post, they give John Park's parents as John Park and Isabella Hoy. His death is showing as having been in 1883, birth c. 1826.

Regarding Mungo, all info generally available online: his birth is given as being in 1771, parents also Mungo and mother Elspeth Hislop. Thirteen children are given for them following parents' 1761 marriage:

1. Margaret 1762
2. John 1763
3. Jean 1765
4. Helen 1765
5. Archibald 1767
6. Jean 1769
7. Mungo 1771
8. Alexander 1773
9. John 1775
10. Adam 1777
11. Isobel 1779
12. James Park 1781

...missing one more!

Possibly one if not two generations to fill between your John born c. 1826 in Jedbugh and this family of Mungo Park's.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Tru Scot  If you check the Scottish Geneology Links page (Free) and check the cemeteries listed you wil find GALA AISLE cemetery and you will find the headstone details for about 8 members of the Park family including Mungo  and Mungo Jnr etc,

Its an old cemetery in Galashiels on the Selkirk Road.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Its the Selkirkshire Links page sorry.