Author Topic: Gain Robinson b. 1682 Bannockburn  (Read 6490 times)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gain Robinson b. 1682 Bannockburn
« on: Monday 07 April 14 01:20 BST (UK) »
Would like help breaking through this brick wall! Gain Robinson was born in 1682 in Bannockburn, Stirlingshire. He emigrated to the colonies and married there in 1719 at the age of 37, so he may have had a prior wife in Scotland. If anyone has any ideas as to where to look for Gain's parents, I'd appreciate the help!
Scotland: Reid

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gain Robinson b. 1682 Bannockburn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Family Search lists the christening of a daughter Isobell to Gain Robertson and Kathrine Mcildounie, on 2nd August 1702 at Kilmory, Bute.

See: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTJC-KHN

Perhaps Kathrine was his first wife and she died in childbirth?

Anne  :)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
It could be, Anne, if they got the Robertson/Robinson mixed up. Gain is not a common name, is it? I know it's quite rare over here, I've never heard of it as a name. If it is as rare there, then that may indeed be a lead. If so, I wonder if his real name IS Robertson and it got changed to Robinson over here. A lot of settlers took the opportunity of their new life to change their name or the spelling of it. You see that a lot. Thanks for the tip, I always forget about that resource, I will check it more often now.

Katharine

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
All the if's, maybe's and possibly's certainly keep us on our toes!  ;D

I agree with you about the name Gain - it's not one I have ever heard before.

As for Robertson/Robinson - I have that name in my own family and it changes backwards and forwards over generations and not one of them stepped foot outside Lanarkshire let alone Scotland, so that's very much a possibility too. There was a few Rob(e)sons included for good measure as well!

Anne  :)

Offline slvcheergurl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I'm actually heading to Scotland next month and was hoping to track down Gain Robinson's parents. I have the same info you have. Do you think there would be a church or somewhere in Bannockburn I could stop into and see if they have a record?

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi! Wonderful that you'll be going to Scotland! The Bannockburn Community Website lists five churches in Bannockburn, three of them are on Main Street. I would contact them, perhaps via email if they have one, and ask if the church has been there since at least 1682 and if there would be records going back that far. Another possibility is to check the cemeteries for clues. His parents may be buried in one of those church yards. Here is the website link with the churches:

http://www.bannockburn.co.uk/category/churches/

Also don't forget what the ladies above have mentioned: that Robinson might be Robertson or even Robeson, as those names were frequently mis-spelled or mis-transcribed. I hope you're able to find something about him! Be sure to let me know!

Katharine

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
None of the Bannockburn Churches have attached graveyards, so looking for stones there won't be an option!

The nearest 'old' Burial Ground' is at St. Ninians. There are 2 together - St. Ninian's 'New', which surrounds the present church and St. Ninians 'Old' which sits enclosed by a perimeter wall and houses the ruins of the 'Old' church and the clock--tower. They are almost side by side albeit separated by a wee road.

Just to add to confusion - there is Bannockburn Cemetery (in Bruce Street, Bannockburn), but this dates from much later than the times of your folk, the first burial being around 1880.

Anne

Offline slvcheergurl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 June 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you both! I'll give it a shot :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 June 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
Do you think there would be a church or somewhere in Bannockburn I could stop into and see if they have a record?

Quite honestly, no, I do not think so. Any records from the late 17th century are very unlikely still to be in the church, even if they have survived. I am willing to bet that stopping in to any existing church, anywhere, not just in Bannockburn, is almost certain to be a complete waste of time as far as seeing older baptism records is concerned.

There seem to be three main churches in Bannockburn.

One is the Allan Church of Scotland. All the registers of the Church of Scotland were transferred to the Registrar General for Scotland in 1855, and they are now indexed on Scotland's People. The Allan C of S web site says it started serving its community in 1838. Originally it was probably a chapel of ease or quoad sacra parish set up withing the parish of St Ninians.

Then there is Our Lady and St Ninian's, which is Roman Catholic. All the Roman Catholic registers are available through Scotland's People.

Lastly Ladywell Church of Scotland, which from its web site looks very new. In any case it too is part of the C of S so will not have any older registers.

Any church other than the Church of Scotland, Roman Catholic or Episcopal Church of Scotland, such as the Christadelphian Church (founded 1838) and United Free Church (formed in 1900 by the union of the Free Church of Scotland (founded 1843) and United Presbyterian Church (founded 1847 by the union of the United Secession Church (founded 1820) and the Relief Church (founded 1761))) did not exist in 1682.

If you want to see pre-1855 baptisms, the place to go is the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.