Author Topic: Washbourn  (Read 12930 times)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Washbourn
« on: Monday 29 March 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Wondering if someone could look up for me the birth record of William Everley Washbourn born 1819 Catherham Surrey, probably born at Tillingdown Manor. Williams father was Richard Washbourn, mothers name not sure! I am wanting to find the name of Williams mother. She was probably born in Wiltshire. Thanks Lisa

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Washbourn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
Submitted IGI record shows birth was 19.6.1819 Tillingdown Surrey died 27.4.1888

Submitted records are an indication that somebody else is researching the same family but the information given on submitted records is frequently unreliable

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bq/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

The IGI covers Caterham parish registers

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountySurrey.htm#C

No Washbourns.

There is a Tillingdown Hill near Caterham which had a farm. Can't see a manor though

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Tillingdown?opendocument

10th February 1841 Christ Church Southwark
William Everley Washbourn Full Age Bachelor Farmer Caterham Surrey Richard Washbourn Farmer
Susan Ann Hawk Full Age Spinster 26 Stamford Street Joseph Hawk Decorator
By licence, both signed
Witnesses Joseph Hawk, Martha Gardener, Mary Ann Palmer, Jackson Barwise? and Mary Ann Dadd?

1841 census HO107 1077/9 folio 9
Tillingdown Tandridge Surrey
Richd Washbourn 44 Farmer not born Surrey
William Washbourn 20 Farmer not born Surrey
Susan Washbourn 20 Not born Surrey

On the 1851 census in Caterham Richard gave his birthplace as Gatesbury Wiltshire. As William emigrated to New Zealand the 1841 census is the only evidence for his place of birth which wasn't Surrey if the census was correct.

Richard seems to have been buried at St Lawrence Oldbury On the Hill Gloucestershire - 24th April 1858 aged 81.

William's New Zealand death certificate should give his mother's name.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 18:36 BST (UK) »

Hi,

As Richard's age is 74 in the 1851 census I think this might br his birth, in Yatesbury, Wiltshire.

25 Sep 1776
Place: Yatesbury, Wiltshire 
Richard WASHBOURN
Parents: John & Shusana

Possible marriage of his parent's,

Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds 
28 Oct 1775
John WASHBOURN
Groom's parish: Yatesbury
Groom's occupation: farmer
Susannah WALTER 
Bride's parish: Yatesbury
Bondsman 1: WALTER Richard, farmer, Yatesbury

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to everyone who has reied to my Washbourn request.

Lisa

Offline scoobie2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 10 01:57 BST (UK) »
Lisa B
I have a friend directly related to the William Everley Washbourn. We to are trying to find out his mothers name. We think it could have been Susanna Everley . I have a copy of William Washbourn's death certificate and it lists his mother as unknown. Could you please let me know how you are connected to this family. Any information on the mystery of Mrs Richard Washbourn. would be great. Also Any information on Emma Everley

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 10 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there. William Everley Washbourn is my Grt Grt Grt Grandfather, I descend through his daughter Ellen Gertrude Washbourn. Not sure about the Everley connection, Emma Everley was said to be an aunt of Williams but we don't have any information on this. I know that she died in 1884. I do know that William was born at Tillingdown Manor Caterham Surrey. Tillingdown was situated on about 600 acres of land and was at a time devoted to growing mainly wheat. I have even looked into the Evenlyn family who once owned Tillingdown as being a possible maternal family of descent for William but I haven't come up with anything here either. Seems odd that know one knew who Williams mother was, maybe his family were never told as his mother died in child birth. As I understand William was a late in life baby so maybe the shock of her death meant his father never discussed the situation. I look forward to your reply. Lisa

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Burial 28th December 1827 All Saints Yatesbury
Susanna Washbourn aged 82

9th November 1797
John

Prerogative Court of Canterbury will

Will of Susanna Washbourn otherwise Wasbarn, Widow of Yatesbury , Wiltshire 22 May 1828 PROB 11/1741

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 June 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there thanks for this post. This lady is William's grandmother, who was married to John Washbourn Yatesbury. Lisa