Author Topic: Mary Bridget MEER came from Paradise  (Read 9883 times)

Online annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Bridget MEER came from Paradise
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 November 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Patrick & Ann were Mary's parents, but as she appears as Mary or Bridget all through her chns birth & death records, it may have been a family habit to use 1st & middle names interchangeably...

If Michael wasn't Patrick's own nickname, it's a strong possibility it was the name of his brother/cousin...

and now to bed,

Good night  :)
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Online annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 13:00 GMT (UK) »
I've found a marriage for a Joseph MARSHALL & Mary MEER in Stockport Sept. 1858 (hopefully, the image attached)

My question is, does the Civil Marriage appearing on the snip indicate that there was no church wedding?
I was expecting they'd have married according to R C rites, whether or not the ceremony was lavish or modest.
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Online annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Aaaargh, it won't attach!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
It certainly looks like a civil marriage - might have been mixed denomination.

You could order a cert from GRO UK, or presumably from the local Registration Office to confirm the full details.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
The GRO Index references are :

Quarter/Year : Sep 1858   
 Registration District : Stockport
 Volume : 8a   
 Page : 129   
 Groom : Joseph Marshall   
 Bride : Bridget Meer            

Here's the link for ordering certs : GRO UK Certs

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 December 11 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Shane!  :)

Offline caroline brady

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi my family are also from Paradise Ballynacally my grandfather was Hugh Brady he had 3 brothers Jeremiah , Daniel and Patrick who were twins they were all born in Ballynagard their father was Edward ( Edmund ) he married Mary King . His dad was Hugh Brady who married Katherine Guinnane , my grandmother Mary Kennedy was working as a maid in Paradise House which is how my granddad met her in 1918  I can remember my dad telling me when I was younger about the Meers from paradise being related to us because a Kathleen Meer who lived nearby us got me to babysit for her and she mentioned the far out relationship she is still living in Ennis now if you want to contact her ?

Online annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 July 14 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Caroline, how lovely to hear from you.

I would be delighted to contact Kathleen! My Paradise Meers have intrigued me for some time now, particularly so since making the pilgrimage to Ballynagard & Paradise House in Sept. 2012.
I'd like to establish which members of the family stayed on in Clare and how many others, if any,  left for England, like Mary Bridget, or for places further afield.

I've confirmed that Mary Bridget Meer married Joseph Marshall at St Michael's Catholic  Church in Stockport, and that they migrated to Australia with their 2 older, Lancashire-born children about 1864. They had 4 more children between 1865 & 1873.
There's a photo, probably taken about 1872-1873 in one of the NSW gold fields, of Mary & her (twin?) sister in the NSW State Library's Holtermann Collection,  but there's no record of this sister's name, marital status or date of arrival in Australia. There are Meers/Meeres/Meirs etc from Clare arriving in NSW, Victoria & South Australia in the 19th C but I don't have enough to establish a connection to the Paradise branch.
Hopefully Kathleen can shed some light....and it's always lovely to meet new cousins  ;D