Author Topic: Birth Record, surname Walthew  (Read 9934 times)

Offline paulb1650

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record, surname Walthew
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 11 11:45 BST (UK) »
hi,

new to this particular message board, so quick intro.

Paul Barrett, studing my personal family tree approxamately 5 yrs. Current interests.;

I am predomantley of protestant english and irish heritage, except for 1 marriage of G Grand on mothers side who married an Irish Catholic daughter of a farmer in Gippsland Victoria Australia.

Annie Kenndy. Her Grandfather was a Hugh Kennedy, Born 1809 Knocknemerough, Ireland, transported to Australia for 7 years for Larceny.

His wife Jane Fox, maried in Doon Limmerick, 1834. Jane received free passage to Tasmania with her children Mary B 1843, Andrew B1845 Hugh B 1846 (died infant) Jeriamiah B1847, born Tipperary and Limmerick. James B1860 port Sorrell, Vic

I am currently researching some additions to this family that has popped up on Ancestry, including nephews and nieces that have turned up in Australia, Both in Gippsland Victoria and Kilmore in Victoria. A difficult task that has me looking at potentially unrelated families in the region.

I have found a link with a family between the 2 areas, that at the moment seems not a dirrect relationship, but I am suspicious.

Parantage for these 2 children are William Kennedy Married Anne Walthew.

Children;
Edward B 1824 Tipperary.
John B 1835 Tipperary.

Edward lived close by to my ancestors, but died unmarried in 1878, age sixty, felling a tree on his property. Inquest and death have death cert and will Buried under the catholic rite, john was witness at burial.

In his will he left his farm to a brother John of Broadford Victoria. I have located John. Married a Anne Sheedy, in Melbourne at the Catholic Church under the catholic rite. 1858. ( Edward reports being in Victoria from 1866, no mention of a stay in Tasmania, although that may not have been disclosed).

Living next door to John Kennedy in Broadford, is Rody Kennedy of Donnybrook. I believe that Rody was a convict sent out on Duke of Richmond 1844, sentenced to seven years, reason Unk at this stage. Rody Married a Margaret Shedy, which was how I uncovered John, due to the mother / wife name, similarity.

Looking for any more information on the Walthew name in Ireland. I can see that there was;

"Walthew        Mich.             Rossaguile                Killoscully     Tipperary"
"Walthew        Michael           Rossaguile                Killoscully     Tipperary"
"Walthew        Michl.            Rossaguile                Killoscully     Tipperary"
"Walthew        Winifred          Rossaguile                Killoscully     Tipperary"

"Griffiths valuation ireland"

This area is predominately where my Kennedys originated from, according to the research of From "Bun Ciamalta Vale to New South Wales" [Paperback]. Roger Kennedy (Author)

also;
"Irish Kennedys" Brian Kennedy.

Have already picked up new links from this terrific site. Would appreciate any help with Catherine Walthew of Tipperary, and her family. Also William Kennedy her husband

Thanks in anticipation, (marriage cert of John attached)

Cant locate his death yet.

Regards,

Paul Barrett

Offline ednita

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Walthews and allied families.
I am not sure of the Anne reflected above, but the molyneux family is long associated with the walthews.
They come out of the Wigan area predominantly, though there are pockets in Warwick/staffordshire and around London.
The further south you go, the more the name is spelled WALTHO or WATHOE, but there appears to be some links.
I have been trying to link the William Walthew family from Anglesey back to either the Lancashire or Cheshire families.
The Lancashire families are related to the Syers, the Hollands, The Molyneux the markland, among others. In lancashire the family seems to originate in the Wigan area about 1550, and earlier than that a group in Kirkham in the 1515's.
In Cheshire there are records around Nantwich from 1515 , moving to Chester by the later 1500's.
The Walthews in London  are derived from the Wigan Walthews, but also seem to be linked to the Walthews from Stowe.

The early spelling is often phonetic, and varies from Walthewe to Walthooe for the same person in different records.
There are Walthews around sefton and Huyton about the mid 1700's and there is an anne daughter of Roger, but that is all I have

Offline paulb1650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 13:00 GMT (UK) »
hi there,

nice to here on the Walthews Walto. It appears that my Walto were from Nenah in Tipperary. Not sure on the early history yet of there time in Ireland, but suspect that they may have fleed to the hills of Keeper, Tipperary for Refuge, an early royalist family in ireland abt 1635?

They were certainly at Newport in Tipperary prior to 1795, were the birth of Catherine is registered at the Newport, RC Church. Parents Jacob Walto and Catherine Fitzgerald. Sibling Michael, Jacob and Edward. ( suprising but thes eearly records, including the children of Catherine and William are available at the RC Church)

Catherine Married a William Kennedy, Born 1795, possibly the son of William Kennedy and Bridget Ryan. Not sure where this William fits into Clan Kennedy, but his the same generation as my 5 x Great Grandfather Long Andrew Kennedy from Tour.

They resided at Bleanbeg, they can be seen on the Griffiths valuation for Kilanarth, North Tipperary, think also the religous cencus, what? 1776?

Catherine had many children, some of who migrated to australia, mainly Edward and John to date. Possibly Catherine, all children of William Kennedy.

At this point in time, i have not investigated the marriages of Catherines Siblings, but will do one day.

I believe that the  Edward Kennedy that came to australia was part of the early influx to Victoria Australia, he had a cousin, my 3 x G Grandfather and 2 nephews and a niece, all came after his arrival.

Thats about all I have, hope it is of some help.

Regards,

Paul Barrett

Offline ruby2014

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 March 14 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, I read with interest your discussions on the Walthew family. I am descended from the Walthew's (now called Waltons) in Rossaguile, Tipperary. I was interested in learning more of where this name came from as it appears pretty unusual in Ireland. You mentioned about perhaps this family escaping to Keeper.. do you have any evidence of this or is it more of a theory? Any help would be great,
regards
Ruby

Offline ann the seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
George Molyneux Walthew was (acc to his obit) born 1799 but not sure where. His parents were William Walthew, a mariner, & Mary Molyneux who married 24.07.1798 at St Annes Richmond, Liverpool. U can find their marriage on the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project which is free to use.
Their wedding entry gave no parents for either but the only witness listed was a John Molyneux who, I suspect, was Mary's father but no proof.
Wm & Mary had the following children: 1) George Molyneux Walthew (2) William Walthew b.1800  (3) Mary Mason Walthew b.1804 (4) John Walthew b.1806 and (5) Martha Wilson Walthew b.1808. The 4 younger children all born in Holyhead on Anglesey but couldn't find George Molyneux Walthew listed on Anglesey records so he may have been born Liverpool or elsewhere, even possibly at sea.
I think Mary's father was John because of the traditional naming pattern - eldest son after paternal grandfather, 2nd son after father and 3rd son after maternal grandfather and on same basis this would suggest that William's father may have been a George Walthew.
I have marriage info for George's 2 sisters and brother Wm but no info at all on his yngest brother John.

Offline ann the seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Following on from my comments yesterday it wld seem logical to look for a George Walthew of suitable dates who might be William's father. There is also a hint, in that George Molyneux Walthew became a hatter, that there may be a hatting tradition in the family. There is a George Walthew, hatter and tea dealer,of 71 Oldhall Street listed in Gores directory of Liverpool 1796.
There is also a George Walthew who married (acc to IGI) Sarah Ritson on 9.12.1793 at St Thomas, Park Street, Liverpool. Unfortunately the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project does not cover marriages at St Thomas in 1793 but there is a child, Mary Walthew, born 12.08.1795 and xnd 24.08.1796 at St Thomas, Park Street, who is described as 3rd dtr of George Walthew, hatter of Dale Street, Liverpool, and Sarah, formerly Wallace afterwards Ritson, his wife.This suggests that Sarah was a widow, maiden name Wallace previously married to a Ritson. But I think there may be  a mistake here and that George may have married 2 Sarahs in succession. I have my reasons but as I have now lost the reference I will have to get back on it.

Offline ann the seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
OK have found the reference. It was on Ancestry under 'Search all records' - George Walthew. The Bishops Transcripts list George Walthew, draper,  m Sarah Ritson, spinster of this parish (says Britson but when u look at original doc looks more like Ritson) 9th Dec 1793 Liverpool. So someone has it wrong. Was Sarah a spinster or a widow?
Also on Bishops Transcripts is a child, George, xnd 15.04.1794 at St Thomas, Liverpool to George Molyneux and Sarah Ritson.

Offline ann the seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
And finally at St James, Toxteth, we have the following:
1) Sarah, dtr of late George Walthew & Sarah died 17 July 1800, buried 19 July 1800, age 3yrs 5mnts

2) George Walthew, linen and woolen draper, died 7 Sep 1797 buried 9.09.1797

3) Sarah, relict of George Walthew, draper of Bolton Street, died 12.03.1801, buried 15.03.1801, age 37.

Irritatingly, no age is given for George, so was he an old guy who married a much younger bride, or was he of an age with Sarah and therefore born around 1860ish? If the latter he could be our William's brother. If the former cld be our Wm's father. Or he cld be no close relation at all. Anyone any ideas on the subject?