Author Topic: Thomas Gordon, Dundalk & Belfast  (Read 13844 times)

Offline Blackthorn11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Gordon, Dundalk & Belfast
« on: Tuesday 06 March 12 05:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm at a loss in tracing my great grandfather's birth or parents. Thomas Gordon was married to Elizabeth Rodgers in St. Nicholas Church of Ireland, Dundalk, around 1902.
I can't find any birth records or census data for Thomas, other than the 1911 Ireland census.
I know he was a blacksmith, born in Dundalk and lived in 4 New Street. Married Elizabeth Rodgers in about 1902 and had six children.

The family moved to Belfast in 1920. Thomas took a job in Harland and Wolff. The entire family were killed in the Easter Monday blitz, 1941. One daughter and one granddaughter survived...my grandmother and mother.

I have their birth certs. 

Any advice on who to contact or proper protocol in asking the church to provide old record information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Gordon
U.S.A.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gordon, Dundalk & Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. To start with I've split your post from the St. Nicholas thread so it won't get 'lost' there.

Here's a link to the 1911 census for Thomas and family- according to it Thomas was born in Co. Louth c1873 so there should be a birth registration for him.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Louth/Dundalk_Urban_No__4/New_Street/578741
I can't see him in 1901 census at the moment.

Thomas' marriage certificate should list his father's name and occupation (unless illegitimate) which would help confirm the correct birth certificate.

Too soon to say if there's a connection but I have a Margaret Gordon (born c1881 Co.Louth-died 27 Oct.1926 Dundalk dist.), daughter of Hugh Gordon.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blackthorn11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the follow up. I have the 1901 & 1911 census information as well. That's how I have deduced some if the facts. I searched the on line birth records for Ireland 1661-1881, but can not find a Thomas Gordon, born in Louth. He filled out the census form with Louth as his birthplace, but it could be an error.
I have used the birth records, with great success, to track down other family members, but Thomas is a mystery.
I have my gran's birth certificate and it confirms everything on the census form. I am guessing that contacting the church and offering payment for a marriage or birth certificate may be necessary , in order to go any further.
My gran's oldest brother was Hugh, so a connection isn't out of the question. I would be interested to know more of Hugh, as Thomas and Margaret are the correct ages to perhaps be siblings.
Sadly my gran passed in 1991, long before I felt the urge to find out "who I am".

Cheers,
Gordon

P.S. I forgot to mention that my gran was born Margaret Rainey.

Offline ginealas

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 22:23 GMT (UK) »
There's a civil birth registration for a Thomas James Gordon 1877 in the reg district of Dundalk.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time the birth year was a few years out.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 23:40 GMT (UK) »
"I searched the on line birth records for Ireland 1661-1881, but can not find a Thomas Gordon, born in Louth." Do you mean the LDS extracted births at www.familysearch.org? If so, the records are not complete so that might be why you can't find Thomas Gordon there.

I forgot to mention earlier that Margaret Gordon was married in the Church of Ireland in Dundalk. It was her husband that was connected to both my in-laws and I'm in touch with a grandson and a great-grandson of Margaret's so will ask if they know more about the Gordon family.

Offline Blackthorn11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the familtsearch LDS sight is the source I was referring to.
It would be brilliant if there were a living relative that might be able to shed more light.
My grandmother never quite seemed to get over the shock of losing her family, so I never asked too many questions, for fear of upsetting her. I had never hoped to find any other direct links.
Thanks again,
Gordon

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 13:24 GMT (UK) »
In the baptism register of St. Nicholas Church of Ireland, Dundalk, there is a Thomas Gordon baptised 11/05/1873, Birth date 10/02/1873. Parents are Hugh and Maria Gordon. Father's Occupation is Iron-moulder. There are siblings William (BD 1855), Mary Anne (Birth date 1860), Margaret (1861), Elizabeth (1868), Samuel (1870), Margaret (1875).

I won't go into too much detail in case it is the wrong family, but it appears that Mary Ann married John McAlister, Clerk Great Northern Railway, on 11/06/1891; Elizabeth married Thomas Ramsey, Fitter, on 01/10/1891; Margaret married Robert Ramsey, Engineer, on 20/12/1900

Don't know if that helps.

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it helps Gordon but it certainly helps me!

Robert Dawson Ramsey (born 1860 Londonderry City) married Margaret Gordon.

His brother Thomas Ramsey (born 1 June 1867 Ballyshannon, Donegal-died  c1906) married a woman named Elizabeth (born c1871 Co.Louth). She m.2 McNeill Kerr. Children of Thomas Ramsey & Elizabeth: Margaret (1892), Sarah Elizabeth (1893), Thomas Gordon (1895), Hugh Victor (1897), Robert (1899).

The marriage of Thomas Ramsey to Elizabeth Gordon (1891) would seem to be the above couple.

Hugh Gordon and Maria Kieran had the following children (all registered Dundalk)-
1. Margaret born 18 Feb.1864 (died young)
2. John born 17 Feb.1866
3. Elizabeth born 31 July 1868 (married Thomas Ramsey?)
4. Samuel born 16 Nov.1870
5. Hugh born 24 Feb.1873
6. Margaret born 5 May 1875 (married Robert D. Ramsey?)

However, Thomas Gordon born 10 Feb.1873 is only 14 days before the birth of the above Hugh (could Thomas have been registered as Hugh?)

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
In the Thomas Ramsey/Elizabeth Gordan marriage of 01/10/1891, the groom's father is called Thomas Ramsey, Timekeeper. The Witnesses are William Gordon and Robert Ramsey

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer