Author Topic: Dolan/McQuillan marriage - Termonfeckin  (Read 11913 times)

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dolan/McQuillan marriage - Termonfeckin
« on: Thursday 04 July 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Whilst at the nli, I found a marriage for Patrick Dolan and Margaret McQuillan at Termonfeckin in 1839. The Termonfeckin records there only start in 1823, so I could not go back to the births of either party. Is there any other Termonfeckin resources I could use to find the birth dates, place of birth and/or parents of the couple?
Thanks in anticipation.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dolan/McQuillan marriage - Termonfeckin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 July 13 17:33 BST (UK) »
Your dates are well before the start of civil registration, so church records are usually the only option when it comes to searching for specific details like baptisms for individuals. 1823 is doing quite well, as the average starting date for a rural RC parish would be about 1830. Sometimes further family information is available for Landed Gentry etc, i.e. those very well off, and major land owners, etc. but for ordinary people the church records are as far back as you can get with regard to specifics on people.

You can sometimes establish more general information from other resources  e.g. by locating possible connections with people of the same surname and maybe familiar first-names on the same area on the slightly earlier Tithe records.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 July 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I would like to look at the tithe records you mention, are they available online? I also wondered whether there might be any graveyard inscriptions for Termonfeckin that might be of use, or would this also be too early?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 July 13 18:26 BST (UK) »
I would like to look at the tithe records you mention, are they available online? ...

yes, on the National Archives website - see :

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/

did the marriage, or any of their children's baptisms mention the name of a townland ?
(The RC parish contained several civil parishes)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 July 13 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
I have only found two baptisms both girls, six years apart, neither record mentions a townland, nor does the marriage record. However the marriage record of one of the daughters mentioned Curstown.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 July 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
....the marriage record of one of the daughters mentioned Curstown.

The townland of Curstown consists of about 215 acres and is in the civil parish of Termonfeckin. It appears to be about 3km north of the town of Termonfeckin.

I'll see if I can loctate the townland on the Tithes...
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 July 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
here's the listing for the townland of Curstown in 1830 - two Dolans, a Patrick and James. They could be relations of your Patrick, or might even be him if he held the property before he married.

Curstown townland, 1830

No sign of any McQuillans occupying agricultural land in the townland, but there are a few in the civil parish, so nearby :

McQui*l*n, Termonfeckin civil parish

(Carstown is a separate townland in the same parish)

Note the Tithes mainly cover agricultural land, so dont cover all properties.
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 July 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Thank you for your help, I was hoping to find a 'family name' amongst the entries.
The descendants of this couple have had lots of daughters and very few sons, so it's hard to find a connection. I don't know of anyone called James amongst the descendants. So, Patrick looks more promising, but other than the Patrick married in 1939, I have not yet found any other Patrick. However I think the Dolans are definitely from Curstown, as termonfeckinhistory.ie shows the Leonard and Farrell families in the same area, and they have appeared as in-laws, witnesses and sponsors to several Dolan descendants.
http://www.termonfeckinhistory.ie/townlands_and_placenames_11.html
I dont know where to start with the McQuillans/ McQuillins. There are such a lot of them in the area, and I'm not sure who might be connected to Margaret. Again there are no clues in the names, all are unfamiliar, with the exception of Catherine, the name of one of the couple's grandchildren

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 July 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
A McQuillan thread posted a year ago mentions Sandpit RC church in connection with the family. I can't seem to find this church on the nli list or roots ireland, does anyone know whether the church has another name please?