Author Topic: Public Information In Dundalk  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Bgatty68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Public Information In Dundalk
« on: Thursday 22 August 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Can someone tell me where to go in Dundalk to look for a long lost relatives birth records, as I would like to start a family tree.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Public Information In Dundalk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 August 13 17:20 BST (UK) »
there could be a few registration districts if births after 1864 depending what part of Dundalk they came from or several churches if baptisms before before 1864, so you would have to be more specific with an area or address,why not throw a few names on here and see if anyone can help.

Offline Bgatty68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 15:31 BST (UK) »
dathai I can't put the name on here of a living person,(been told :'() as i put on my first post for my Dad and don't know what area of Dundalk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 16:50 BST (UK) »
anything after 1911 census is usually hard to research,i'm afraid to my knowledge your best bet is the registers in the G R O in the Irish Life Mall ,Abbey st, but this can be very hit and miss and cost you some money unless you have a specific date birth ,marriage.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
Are you actually planning a trip to Dundalk at the moment or just thinking that's the best place to start your research?

It sunds as though you maybe only have your father's name and perhaps date of birth/approximate age? If so, then start with his birth certificate (the online Irish civil registration index goes up to 1958) which you can order from home which will show an exact date and place of birth as well as names of his parents and probably the father's occupation(although if illegitimate only mother will probably be shown).
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

If the parents are shown on his birth certificate then you can use the above index to search for their marriage- and when you get that you will have the names and occupations of both fathers asn well as where your grandparents were living when they got married. (witness are often relatives so perhaps more clues there).

Once you get back to someone born before March 1911 there are 2 online census to search (free)- 1911 and 1901- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

There might be other sites you can use to search for information but as with any sort of research it's really just a matter of going through sources step by stpe.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!