Author Topic: Tinley's in Derbyshire  (Read 8338 times)

Offline Tinley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tinley's in Derbyshire
« on: Monday 10 November 08 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'm completely new to rootschat, so bear with me.

I am trying to find information on Walter Tinley, who was born 1768. Walter lived and married in Heanor but I have been unable to find any record of parents. Walter apparently married twice. His first marriage was to Martha Brentnall 16 Dec 1793 in the parish church Heanor. Martha was born around 1772. From this marriage there were two sons, Thomas and George. Walters second marriage was to Katherine Keen on 23 June 1806. From this marriage there were four children, Mary, William, John and Charles.
Can anyone help me to fill in information for this my 5th G Grandfather.
I am based in Jersey so it is difficult to spend sufficient time at the Records Office.

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Tinley's in Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
First of all let me welcome you to rootschat - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
My father came from Ilkeston, which is near Heanor, so I keep an eye on the Derbyshire board, just in case I can be of help to anyone.
I can understand your difficulty in finding information with regard to baptisms for the Tinley family - there is so little information currently online for Heanor, St. Lawrence; or any of the nearby churches (including Ilkeston, St. Marys!)
I would offer to go the Derbyshire Record Office for you, but I no longer live near there, but a few ideas sprang to mind which might help a little.
I was told, when I recently visited Ilkeston, that members of the Heanor and District Local History visit the DRO on a weekly basis - so maybe it worth contacting them. You might find they have someone researching the Tinley family, or someone might be kind enough to help you with a look-up when they next visit. It is worth a try! They also have a lot of local knowledge.
www.heanorhistory.org.uk
St.Lawrence's Church, itself also appear to be transcribing their registers at the moment, so you can contact them to see what progess is being made. It looks as if it will be an interesting site, when completed:
www.stlawrenceonline.com
Sorry I can't help you actively.
Good luck!
Paulene :)
Good luck

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Paul,
Just thought that these two sites might also be useful:
www.genealogy-links.co.uk/html/derbys.html
www.wirksworth.org.uk
Lots of interesting information which might help in the future.

Offline Tinley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pauline for your reply.

I'll spend some time looking at those web sites. I do agree with you that I need to join up with the Derbyshire History Soc. The problem I have is that there appears to be two branches of the family within the Derby's. area, one on the Nottingham side and the other around Heanor, Clay Cross et al. A significant amount of work was done on the Notts lot by a lady called Ruth Tinley, she also wrote a book on the family and their links. Although we are well spread around the World, the name is not the most common.

I am sure that a week in Matlock would forward the cause.

I keep coming tantalisingly close to linking them up, but never quite get there.

I should have started this a few years ago when I lived in Leicestershire.

With any luck a few more family members will contact me.

Thanks again and let me know if you need any info from Jersey  :)

Paul

I'm not sure if this reply is posted in the correct area, c'est la vie.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 08 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
Glad to be of help.
Please let me know if I can help with the Nottingham side, as I have quite a few resources for Nottingham/shire. My daughter lives near Nottingham, so I often visit, and I can get to the records office fairly easily.
I'll remember your kind offer :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »
it seems your walter lived in Shipley derbys -and was a carpenter/joinr

son charles baptism is on line (tagghill site) Heanor St lawrence Baptisms

wife catherine(b Oxfordshire?) was living at Shipley common as a widow -describing deceased husband as a joiner. (a lot of my family are from Shipley)

depending on which part of Shipley they lived in (and also depending on which church they attended- baptisms are likely to have taken place at heanor St lawrence or Christchurch Cotmanhay.
If they lived in shipley gate area then baptisms could possibly have taken place in eastwood Notts -as from that area it was almost as near (through the lanes) to walk to eastwood -as it was to heanor/Cotmanhay.

have you noticed the marriages for Walter Tinley in West Hallam -maybe related to your Walter -maybe father or an uncle?????

if you go to www.HeanorHistory.org.uk (the site pauline gave to you)

and go to the chat area-there is a family history section where you may receive some help  (you have to keep checking back to see for replies -and be patient)

I go to matlock quite often - but have no immediate visit planned

Do you have all of the children's baptisms?
Did they all take place at St lawrence??

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Walter's marriage to Martha brentnall -other than from the IGI - the IGI entry is submitted -so not entirely reliable

There is also a marriage of Walter Tinley to mary Radford in West Hallam 1 nov 1755-but that is also a submitted entry

There is an extracted record of a marriage of Walter Tinley /mary handley 21 nov 1763 Kirk hallam

there is also a baptism (extracted) of Walter Tinley 20 Oct 1833 radford Nottigham parents Thomas/Elizabeth-would thisbe "your  Walter'"s grandson????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tinley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Suz,

Thanks for your reply.

I do have copy of Walters Marriage to both Martha and Katherine from the Derbyshire record office, so I am confident that he was indeed married twice. I do not know what happened to Martha, but she died young. Walter married Katherine Keen (sometimes spelt Catherine) just over a year after the death of Martha.

I have babtism records for Walter and Katherines children again from the DRO, but I have not got records for his first marriage children. Mary, William and John were all in the Ilkeston records, whilst Charles, my direct decendant was in the Heanor records.

I have noted the Walter Tinley Mary Handley marriage, whilst he is most probably linked to our line, ie related to Walter b 1768, he is not his father. It would seem that this Walter died within a year of his Marriage as his wife Mary re-married Thomas Martin of Smalley in 1764, before our Walter was born. It is possible that this Walter was an uncle to my Walter.

My favourite contender for Walters parents are Thomas Tinley b abt 1736, Duffield and Martha Taylor. They married on 2nd Feb 1761 at Duffield. This Thomas could be the brother of the Walter who married Mary Handley above. Thomas and Martha had a daughter Grace born 1765, West Hallam, christened 23rd Oct 1765. So is Grace our Walters sister ???.

My Walter named his first born son Thomas, could this be in honour of his father.

So all in all if I were to be able to get up to Derbyshire I would research Thomas Tinley, born Duffield, married Duffield, children born or baptised West Hallam.

Even though I am not too sure of where they are Duffield and West Hallam sound a promising research area.

Trouble is it all takes so much time, I'll have to get a camper van  :)

Once again thanks for the help.

Take care

Paul.

Offline Tinley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 21:22 GMT (UK) »
And There's More  :)

There is also another potential sister to "our Walter", that is Martha Tinley b abt 1768, again in Heanor. She married Thomas Fletcher in Heanor in 1789.

Sooo was this Martha named after her mother, Martha Tinley nee Taylor, and did she have a brother Walter and a sister Grace.

??? ??? :-\ :-\

Paul