Author Topic: Robson tombstone in Eckford Cemetery  (Read 8431 times)

Offline jamesfreid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robson tombstone in Eckford Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 July 13 02:12 BST (UK) »
The will I gave below of Thomas Robson of Chinguacousy, I now realize is of Thomas Robson, Jr.

So it is Thomas Robson the elder (1765-1841) and Thomas Robson the younger (1811-1847). Apologies for the confusion!

-- Jamie Reid

Offline la dolce

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robson tombstone in Eckford Cemetery
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hello, we own the land occupied by Jas Robinson and family (son of Thomas - brother of the Thomas shown in the will) I am looking for anything related to the land and history of the family on our property -  note it is a different parcel from Thomas - on concession 5. Log Cabin once stood there and I beleive that this is the childhood homestead of all of Thomas' family and children (inlcuding Thomas and James. There were 9.  I am curious what is known of the the brother that died in infancy, his name, and where he was buried. I would also like to know anything about the timeline of them livign on con 5, any old family photos, etc. Its quite a mystery.  Here is what I know - from others

Children
birth and death dates for the children of James Robson & Esther Dixon. They came from their tombstone inscriptions in Dixon's Cemetery, Chingaucousy Township, Peel County, Ontario.

They are as follows:
Jane Ann Robson (Jan. 21, 1842 - Feb. 21, 1929),
Louisa Robson (Jan. 13, 1845 - May 28, 1918),
Mariah Robson (1846 - Aug. 13, 1902),
Levina Robson (Sept. 29, 1849 - July 28, 1919),
Thomas C. Robson (Apr. 23, 1851 - Apr. 7, 1925),
Alexander Robson (1855 - 1928),
William Robson (Sept. 27, 1859 - Jan. 17, 1926),
George Robson (June 22, 1865 - Jan. 30, 1942), and
Esther Robson (Junior) -(no dates).

Spouses names for some of the people listed above:
Mariah married William Robinson,
Alexander married Catherine Cunnington, and
Esther (Jr) married Andrew Kitto.

Thomas was a cooper by trade. He, Jane and all of their children except George emigrated to Chinguacousy Twp. in May 1831 (George was a clergyman for many years in Lauder, Berwickshire). Thomas died in Chinguacousy on Dec. 16 1841. Jane died there May 1, 1844. There is a family gravestone in the churchyard in Eckford.

As to the property, Which is Lot 21 Concession 5 Chinguacousy,
The Crown gave the patent on December 17, 1822 to a Hannah Farris (all 200 Acres)
On Nove 16, 1925, the land traders, A Robert Cunnan and John Brown got involved and all 200 Acres were sold for 100 Pounds. 
On July 25, 1835, a deal was agreed upon and a registration made on March 8th, 1835 to sell the land to James Robson.  He paid 245 pounds for all 200 Acres.  The land later Changed hands many times (being researched) Still do not know when the family left the land, but they built the cabin/homestead there. Curious to know if they lived there or who did.

Thomas ROBSON and Jane CLARK and 5 of their 7 children came from Eckford, Roxburghshire, Scotland to Chinguacousy Twp. in 1831. One of their sons, James, married Esther DIXON in 1842. James and Esther's eldest daughter Jane Ann ROBSON was born abt. 1841. Jane Ann married John JEWETT in 1868. John was the son of George JEWETT and Mary Ann ?? (possibly CROSSAN/CROSSEN/CROSSIN/CROSSON). Jane Ann and John had at least 3 children: George Crossan (or Crossen, etc.), b. Jul. 30 1869; James Robson, b. Feb. 15 1875; and John Thomas, b. Mar. 19 1877. The family was living in Chinguacousy in 1871, but I don't know what happened to them after that.

I can send a picture of the where the cabin once stood if you like.