Author Topic: Help Please - Adam Henderson  (Read 6194 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please - Adam Henderson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 October 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
It's quite possible - but the post gives the impression they died in Scotland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 October 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Welcome to RootsChat, Paul.

What is your source of info for Adam's parents (Willam Henderson (1793-1887) and Agnes (1791-1862))? From your tree online on a/try, Adam's gravestone shows his death in Feb 1899 and his age at death as 78 and 6 months. Is this the likely entry you are looking at for his birth https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYWX-KHP At least six children show as born to them in Lilliesleaf and Linton, Rox.

Where did William and Agnes die? Was it in Scotland do you think? With the possible death dates you have for them, if they died in Scotland, have you looked for their death certs on Scotlands People?

Is this William and Agnes in 1851? www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=80704037

From their children's names included on Family Search, I think this is William and Agnes in 1841 with daughter Alice www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=80104011

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 October 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
Carole, from Paul's tree, Adam died in Oxford, Ontario Canada in 1899, wife Janet Chisholm in 1878 in the same area. Just a question really as where parents may have died. Hopefully Scottish death certs will help in this respect by at least confirming William and Agnes' parents, letting you work back with a little more confidence, Paul.

Adam and Janet's first born after their marriage looks to be a William Adam Henderson born in Ontario on 1 Nov 1850/

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 October 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
Paul, have you heard about Scottish naming pattern. Can sometimes help, if used in some way - see for example www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

Hopefully as mentioned above, William and Agnes' death certs will include their parents' names which will help you be more definite about their births and families....otherwise, it will be best guesses.

I can't easily see William and Agnes' marriage year so far, but from the children that show on Family Search:

Agnes 1813
Alison 1814
David 1818
Adam 1820
John 1822
Janet 1828

Likely some gaps there but not too many. With the birth place of Ednam showing for William in 1851, I wondered about this possible entry for him https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTB1-325

Hopefully parents' names will help your further on their birth places  :)

Monica

Offline phenderson13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 October 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
I will attempt to respond to the many questions.
The source of my information has originally been a handwritten family tree - it's source and date I don't know but it has proven to be very accurate (so far).
Thank you for the birth record for Adam.
As far as I know, William and Agnes died in Scotland.
Yes, William was the first born of Adam and Janet, 1 Nov 1850.
I was not aware that there were 3 daughters born to William and Agnes - the 3 sons formed the first ring in the family tree around W & A.
I will follow the links provided  - thank you so much for the information.
Paul

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 October 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
Paul, family bibles or handwritten historic trees are fantasctic, so follow the trail of the info on there...

I cannot see any of you who have added trees on a/try who have followed through to the official Scottish records. This may be the best way to go now to help you get back to the next stage.

Official registration in Scotland began in 1855...and Scottish BMD certs are some of the best. If you are able to confirm parents' names from these for William Anderson and Agnes Hunter, we can all help you work on further details for the family here.

However, struggling to find on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk corresponding death entries on the details we have so far....

Monica