Author Topic: Knockninny [Derrylin] Catholic registers  (Read 21798 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knockninny [Derrylin] Catholic registers
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply; yes, I don't know enough about these families to be able to make sense of them! We haven't done too much on the McManuses, because they are just so prevalent in Teemore and around, and with the records available,it's just too confusing. Your information about the Burra being part of Aghyoule may help disentangle  them.  My husband's mother's grandmother was Honora or Anne (I have found both names) McManus from the Burra. She was born about 1871. Her father was James McManus, who seems to have been alive in 1893 when she married, but I can't find him in 1901 census. Now here is where it gets interesting. Honora or Anne's brother was also a James McManus, and I have a note from talking to my husband's mother, that this James was known as "the rector", and that he married into the Maguire farm in Aghyoule. I have his wife as Ann Maguire. So this could be a mistake on my part, getting the  wife's name wrong and maybe not knowing which generation she was talking about, or it could a mistake on Mrs Lunney's part. I think it is very unlikely that TWO James McManuses married in to farms in Aghyoule, so can you help me decide if Maguire is right, or Gilleece, as per your information? I'll be quite happy to go with Gilleece, if you are sure about it. Sadly we can't check any longer with Mrs Lunney

Offline teemore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knockninny [Derrylin] Catholic registers
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 20:57 GMT (UK) »
LindeL- The McManus's of the Borough/Aghyoule (James, Hugh and Pat) whom I have previously referred to  had an uncle who was called the 'rector's Pat' and he married at Corrabrack into a Maguire family (Corrabrack is not far from the border outside Belturbet close to Agalane in Co. Cavan.  Another uncle of theirs went to Arva and had a son a doctor in Arva (30's 40's 50's) and another son a priest (ordained in 1917 and spent most of his life in Westmeath), another uncle went to a townland  beside Molly Mountain (Derrllin) in Co. Fermanagh. The Molly McManus also had 3 sons; Pat, Hugh & James who never married -the Lunnys who were related, now own that land.  The 'rector's Pat' also had a sister Aine  who married at Aghintra into a Curry family.  One of the old house remains on the mountain side which you refer to is on land owned by my brother.  The McManus were originally moved from an area close to the Crom Estate probably around 1850's or earlier  (they were also related to the Gilroys of Aghyoule who were my mother's side of our family). Lunny's/Curry's would also be related to us .
PS I have not checked dates from census so that could be confusing, however I do know a McManus who has a fairly complete family tree of the McManus ancestry and he was to give me a copy.