Author Topic: Charles Arnold 1861 Census  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Cazo

• RootsChat Extra
  • South African Irish English Scottish Welsh French
    • View Profile
Charles Arnold 1861 Census
« on: Sunday 14 September 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to find the full record of:
Charles Arnold 23 Barge Builder Labourer Middlesex 1838 Allen Devon
from the 1861 Census.

I was able to find this record on a free search at thegenealogist.co.uk but never accessed the full record. I now have membership at Findmypast but this record doesn't show up at all - very confusing.

I'm looking for a lighterman named Charles Arnold who married Ann Maria Hall (nee Pocock) in 1862 in Hounslow. His father was also named Charles Arnold and was a carpenter. Hopefully this is the right person!

Thanks in advance :)
South Africa, St Helena, Ireland, Scotland, England

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Arnold 1861 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 September 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
1861 census
RG9/780 folio 9 page 11
Front(?) Terrace, Chiswick, Middlesex
Ann Arnold, head, married, 29, Washerwoman, born Middlesex Westminster
John Arnold, son, 3, Scholar, born Middlesex Westminster
Louisa Arnold, daur, 1, born Middlesex Westminster
Charles Arnold, lodger,* unmarried, 23, Barge Builder Laborer, born Hampshire Alton

* originally another word (illegible), overwritten by lodger

(Ancestry have ANRADD; FindMyPast have not transcribed the surname)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
I don't think this is likely to be someone who was a lighterman when they married the following year.

Your Charles married 1862 - in the words of the old adage 'what happened next'?  I can't find a likely Charles/Ann together on census after that.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cazo

• RootsChat Extra
  • South African Irish English Scottish Welsh French
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 September 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Bookbox! Unfortunately it's back to the drawing board for me as I found that particular Charles Arnold in Alton, Hampshire in the 1841 census and it looks like his father is a Daniel Arnold.  ??? Oh well....

Annette - there's a whole thread on this topic from a while back (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=612396.0). Charles married Ann in 1862 and had two children (Charles & Joseph) before dying in around 1865. Joseph is my ancestor and I've got his movements sorted out, but his brother seems to disappear after the 1881 census.

Thanks again for the help.
South Africa, St Helena, Ireland, Scotland, England

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Charles married Ann in 1862 and had two children (Charles & Joseph) before dying in around 1865.

What does the death certificate say about his age and occupation?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Looking back on earlier census the Charles born Alton, Hampshire was son of a Daniel.

Have found Charles Arnold listed in 'Thames Watermen & Lightermen' (on FindMyPast) and he'd only been a lighterman a very short time.

The record simply states his name, birth year is blank, Master a George Neighbour.  Date he was bound 11/12/1860 at Brentford.   Date Free DEAD.

That's it!

I think I MAY have found him in 1861 but the entry is of no help to you at all I'm afraid.

The page is a list of barges at (Old Brentford) Ealing, Middlesex (Brentford regn. district) - ref. RG9 - 779 - 84 - 27.

'Hercules' - Charles Arnott   Unm.   22      Master       Birthplace NK  (i.e. not known)

Although surname does look like Arnott cannot see a likely Charles Arnott before or after 1861 and there is no Charles Arnott listed in 'Thames Watermen and Lightermen' so think this is actually your Charles Arnold.

I've a feeling you don't have Charles Arnold's death certificate - you'd need to know his age at death to confirm if the above could indeed be your Charles Arnold.   At his marriage in 1862 just shown as 'full age' so born anytime before 1841.

(Not knowing where he was born somehow suggests at an unfortunate childhood - possibly illegitimate - so bear in mind that the details given for his father may possibly have been a fabrication).

Wish it had been the breakthrough you want.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk