Author Topic: Haddo House  (Read 9718 times)

Offline gillahill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haddo House
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 January 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nestle, hope you did manage to get more info about Haddo's time as a maternity hospital during WW2.  It is a story that is quite well known locally. 

see   http://news.scotsman.com/aberdeen/National-Trust-seeks-Haddo-babes.6372142.jp    published June '10.
Landels, Law, Sutherland, Rennie,Rough, Ritchie

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 January 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to rootschat. If you look at Monica's post (4 January 1910) you'll see a link to another post on this subject.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 March 11 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Just seen your inquiry re Haddo. My wife was a Haddo baby born 1942. A few years ago there was a reunion at Haddo, and mothers and babies were invited. Although it was primarily Glasgow mothers who went there, simply to get them out of Glasgow and the worst of the bombing, other mothers did land up there as well. My wife's mother was in Aberdeen at the time, and Haddo was the safest place for a maternity hospital. Her husband my father in law was in the RAF stationed at a decoy airfield near Whiterashes. STV did a TV programme on the reunion and concentrated on a particular Glasgow mother and daughter. I could try and find if I still have a copy of the programme. We recorded it as my wife is filmed albeit briefly,meeting Lady Aberdeen with the words " I'm the baby  - this is the Mum.." It provided the family with a laugh.

Offline seegee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 July 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
I too was a Haddo war baby, My family were from Glasgow and I was born at Haddo in August 1941 and visited Haddo house when the reunion took place in 1987 when Lady June of Temmaire was present. I've recently re-visited and toured the house yet again, it was interesting to see the room where the babies were actually delivered which was Queen Victoria's bedroom when she stayed there on one occasion.
I don't know where other babies were christened, but I was christened in the private Chapel attached to the house