Author Topic: 4 Cornish pubs  (Read 16557 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Cornish pubs
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 November 14 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Following on
We have the newspaper reports reply 9
BANKRUPTS
Public Advertiser (London, England), Monday, October 31, 1763
William Pye of Famouth to surrender at the Star in Marazion in Cornwall.

London Chronicle (London, England), August 26, 1788
Hugh Edwards of St Ives merchant to surrender at the Star in Marazion in Cornwall.

Where was the Star in Marazion was it in Fore Street?
so was this John Seemens pub and did John take it over from his brother William between 1841-1851 William was still in Fore st in 1851 but if this is right was a butcher not publican But if so why is John's address  in 1851 Church Town St Hillary?

The HARVEYS
The Harveys
Henry SEEMEN had a daughter Mary who married Edward Harvey of Gwinear they emigrated to Michigan USA Her Edward was the son of a William and Mary HARVEY born in 1847 so that looks like a red herring as the William and Susan HARVEY are in the Fore Street pub on both the 1841 and 1851 censuses so are unlikely to have Edward in 1847 in Gwinear. Phew one down
However Prudence SEMMENS another of the siblings married Henry WARD they also emigrated to the States before they left however their daughter Ann married Henry Harvey of Crowan so may be the Harveys will feature in time.

The ROWES
Hanibal ROWE of Zelah St ALLEN was an innkeeper at least 1824-1827. His daughter jane's baptism: 1825 20th September 196 / Jane Daughter of / Hannibal Elizabeth / ROWE / Zelah St Allen / Inn Keeper / Thos Peter GURNEY
Jane married Jane married Henry POOLEY  one of the POOLEYS siblings above he was another butcher

No wonder I am confused! Any help to confirm or eliminate any of this will be welcome along with any thing about any of the pubs that can be added
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1851 census for Susan HARVEY she is 42 and her "Daughter "  Mary Laity is 30 so Susan must have been a second wife to William Harvey and Mary her Step daughter. But that does not alter the fact that Edward was born in 1847 and Susan was married to William in 1841. Um another red herring I wish I could rule William Harvey right out of the problem. What exactly is the relationship between Susan and the Laitys they are both in Laws

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trees,

You can rule William HARVEY out (as I understand the problem).  I am fairly sure he is the William HARVEY who was buried at Marazion on 21 September 1842.

The relationship between the HARVEYs and the LAITYs is that William LAITY (a draper before his involvement with the Fire Engine Inn) married (probably) Mary HARVEY at St Hilary on 2 May 1837.  The record isn't terribly clear (watered ink) and her surname has been transcribed as HARREY by Cornwall OPC.    The 1851 census makes a kind of sense if Mary was Susan's daughter-in-law (as in stepdaughter) and William was her son-in-law (as in a man married to her step-daughter).

The "Fire Engine Inn" was advertised for lease in the Cornwall Royal Gazette of 5 Aug 1842.  The proprietor Mr Wm Harvey was said to be in poor health.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Here is the advertisement.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 November 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks  horselydown86 I may go back with William a short way when I get a chance just to be sure he doesn't link in to the tree someway. We now have proved that William SEMMENS was not at the Fire Engine so was he at a pub called the Lanyan Arms

Edward's parents were William Harvey a farmer born in Gwinear in 1809 and Mary born in Lelant in 1813

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 11:54 GMT (UK) »
William HARVEY and Mary
William married MaryHOCKEN in 1838 they had 4 children baptised in Philack up to 1845 he was an innkeeper of Church Town on the baptisms...which Inn?
They then had 5 children baptised in Gwinear Starting with Edward when William was a publican of Fraddam
I think the Fraddam pub was the Half Way House Does anyone know this pub?

mcmullin.me.uk