Author Topic: Is it possible to say when this nurse had her picture taken?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Polar500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to say when this nurse had her picture taken?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 September 14 05:22 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused. Looking at the website that Carol sent it seems to me that this skirt length was being worn during the war. In fact the nurses in the picture illustrating the intro of the 'handkerchief style' hat in 1915 seem to be wearing exactly identical uniform to that in my photo.  Thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to say when this nurse had her picture taken?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 September 14 07:07 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused. Looking at the website that Carol sent it seems to me that this skirt length was being worn during the war. In fact the nurses in the picture illustrating the intro of the 'handkerchief style' hat in 1915 seem to be wearing exactly identical uniform to that in my photo.  Thanks

The uniforms are very similar, however I think that Aunty's skirt is shorter than those in Carol's link, and the skirt looks a little less full too. It is difficult to see but the lower part of the 'handkerchief' veil is not evident either, so maybe less generous quantity of material is used in the 20's. Only guessing here, but I did think Aunty looked like a 20s girl.