Author Topic: Avonbridge/Stein  (Read 28623 times)

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
Re: Avonbridge/Stein
« Reply #36 on: Monday 11 October 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Gorgie Mills was adjacent to the cattle market/slaughterhouse at Chesser Avenue in Edinburgh and a big industrial centre for gluemaking at the turn of the century.

See http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_buildings_g/0_buildings_-_gorgie_mills_moe120.htm
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 11 October 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Alan you diamond.I have spent hours on Google Earth looking for a place called Gorgie.I thought that is what it said but couldn't find a place with that name.And Snabhead,thanks again,given the area that makes sense.Right off to Edinburgh now.I have another ancestor to track down from there,a Margaret Dunlop,born in Prestonfield I think around 1813.I know she married a Walter Brown from Bo'ness in 1835.Thanks again Alan.

Further to above Alan.I found Chesser Avenue on Google Earth,just off the Gorgie Road which runs past Hearts football ground.Also followed your link and now have a photo of Gorgie Mills.Brilliant,thank you.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 11 October 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
George, Snab, in West Lothian at Least, is a shoemaker, I had a rellie named Clydesdale in Snab Pit, Bo'ness, they lived at Snab cottages.  Snab Lane & Snab Brae, north of Kinneil house.  Skoosh.

Try this site with the map & aerial pic' on the same page, type in Bo'ness top left and navigate with the map, the pic' follows.

http://wheresthepath.googlepages.com/wheresthepath.htm

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 11 October 10 15:51 BST (UK) »
Snabhead is an area to the north of Standburn, there is still standing a Snabhead Farm - unsure of cottage location at the moment.  This area is next to the old Craigend works.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 11 October 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
Skoosh,I have two shoemakers,father and son in the family it seems.I shall forever refer to shoes as Snabs,lol.My Bo'ness link is a Walter Brown,who was a blacksmith as was his son.Walter would appear to be my great great great grandfather.Two lines from my family seem to have married Browns so it's proving a bit confusing.

Gillian good luck with the Snabhead cottage/farm link.If it's any help my great grandmother,Elizabeth Stein is listed on her marriage certificate as a farm worker aged 18.Ps this is not James' wife who was also Elizabeth Stein,but his mother,help!!!

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline The Forester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline The Forester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:22 BST (UK) »

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 29 October 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
The Forester,go straight to the top of my Cristamas card list.I have just got in from a very long and hard day to find this.I was born in this street,not I might add at the time of the horse and cart.However my grandparents would have known it like this.I was born in their house.I haven't seen it since I was three or four but mean to visit soon along with other places locally where I have found roots.Thank you so much,you have made my day.

George.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 29 October 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
George, auld Scots saying, "Wan Broon's enough in a toon", I never made this up!     Scoosh.