Author Topic: Probate Record, Shipley, Sussex - 1771  (Read 6229 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Record, Shipley, Sussex - 1771
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 February 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
At this date there was only one anglican/parish church in Shipley, St Mary's, so probably no coincidence  that your Shipley ancestors were buried in the churchyard there.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 February 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell:

Thank you for letting me know.   :)
---------------
Last night I was trying to find out more about Sarah Surgeon (still hoping for a clue that might uncover more about Susannah Parker's parents/ancestors.)  I found very little information, but a Hannah Surgeon married a Geo Foster/Faster in Shipley in 1828 - update:  I should have typed 1728.  There were additional marriage records for Surgeon's in the Shipley area - perhaps I may find clues as I try to research them.
--------------
Thank you again, Nell.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 February 14 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, the SMI states that Hannah was of the parish of Shipley & George was from Isfield, Sussex at the time of their marriage,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 February 14 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the added information, Jane.  Every little bit helps.  I appreciate the lookups, the suggestions, and thoughts about my ancestors.  When I hit deadends with the Vaus, Cooper, Parker lines I "left the county" and started searching for other lines in Essex.  I have to reacquaint myself with Sussex information again.

It's helpful to know that Hannah was of the parish of Shipley at the time of her marriage.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 February 14 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Philadelphia was quite a popular name in these times, particularly in Sussex for some reason :-\

William Penn had strong links to the Shipley / Horsham / West Grinstead / Thakeham and Warminghurst areas of Sussex and in 1652 he founded the city of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania.

Many of the original Sussex Quakers are my ancestors and some of them went with him to America, others stayed behind. 

I imagine this is why so many children were given the name Philadelphia - after a while it probably caught on even amongst families who chose not to embrace this new faith.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 February 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz:

Thank you for sharing the information.  It is always fascinating to learn about the history of an area or learn about little things that went on when my ancestors were alive.  I envy those who are able to walk the same streets and go into some of the old buildings.   :)

Thank you for your help, Liz, it is appreciated.