Author Topic: Kennedys Kyle of lochalch Scotland  (Read 7412 times)

Offline reggit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kennedys Kyle of lochalch Scotland
« on: Monday 17 September 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for info On Duncan Kennedy  born 16th july1867 in Lochalsh Lived in Kinloch Levin and was in charge of Alliminium Works was married to Marion Macleod in Kinloch Levin left his wife and six childern behind. Robert, William, Flora, Sarah, Ann and Rodrick around 1920 for New Zealand

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedys Kyle of lochalch Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
1901 Scottish census has Duncan Kennedy aged 32, together with a Marion, in Appin, Argyll. GROS ref 525/01 0001/00 003. Might be your family. You can confirm that on Scotlandspeople (pay to view).
Elwyn

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Reggit, there is a new book called Aluminiumville on Kinlochleven and the smelter, it has a foreward by Charles Kennedy MP, of the Lochaber Kennedy's.
 Don't know the author, haven't read it yet myself. The smelter is now closed but the associated hydro scheme still produces power for the grid.

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 00:08 BST (UK) »
www.familysearch.org - Duncan Kennedy, birth 16 July 1867 in Lochalsh, parents Robert Kennedy and Flora Finlayson.

Digression - Lochalsh means the parish of Lochalsh, which is in the County of Ross and Cromarty. Kyle of Lochalsh is one village in the parish, often incorrectly referred to as 'the' Kyle of Lochalsh. The Kyle of Lochalsh is the narrow strait which separates the Isle of Skye from the mainland.

Duncan was certainly not born in the Kyle of Lochalsh, as giving birth in water was well out of fashion in 1867 ;) He may have been born in Kyle of Lochalsh, but it's a big area and he is more likely to have been born somewhere else.

In 1881 the family was at 31 Harbour Street, Lochalsh. Flora was a carpenter's widow, aged 40, and the children were Ann, 16; Duncan, 14; Alexandrina, 11; Robert, 9; and Roderick, 3, all born in Lochalsh.

Unfortunately the LDS, when they transcribed the 1881 census on to the so-very-useful CD-ROMs, omitted to transcribe the box at the top of each page giving the name of the townn or village within the parish where the address was situated. Fortunately I used to live up that way, and I happen to know that Harbour Street is in the village of Plockton. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1483555 and http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/8273

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline reggit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian for the helpful info. Duncan Kennedy was born in Plockton. Info on the family says he was in charge of construction of Aluminium works. He married Marion McLeod of Portree parents were Donald McLeod and Flora Beaton. He had one report shows six children Robert, William, Flora, Sarah, Ann and Rodrick, other shows five children missing child is Sarah. They say he left everyone behind for new Zealand and never came back. Was wondering if and what part of these details are true. Thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home/

Death 1954/34793 Kennedy Duncan 87Y

A copy of this certificate should tell you if he is yours.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline reggit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 03:08 BST (UK) »
I'm heading to Scotland on Thursday from Canada .I plan on staying in plockton for a view days is there any locals that have a good knowledge  of  family history i could chat with. Thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 08:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I haven't been there for years and I don't know anyone who lives there now.

Offline reggit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. If I were to down load Duncans death certificate would it show me a place and any other family members