Author Topic: OWEN and Jackson family Newcastle area late 1800's  (Read 6523 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OWEN and Jackson family Newcastle area late 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissie,
So, were you looking for information outside your immigration query?

There seems to be a good deal available.

But perhaps you can say if it is of interest  ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 July 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
In case it is of interest :

NSW 1903 Electoral Roll for the electorate of Newcastle, and in the polling places of

a) Waratah...

Arundel Frances OWEN, at her domestic duties, Turton Road (Waratah)
David OWEN, inspector of nuisances, off Turton Road (Waratah)

b) Wickham
George OWEN, Hannell St Lindwood, a labourer
Marcella Jessie OWEN, Annie St Lindwood at her domestic duties

I guess that Lindwood would be the name of the home, and that it was on the corner of Hannell and Annie Streets, but you should check that out further as I may be mistooken (relying on my memory of that area).

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Chrissie246

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 11 00:54 BST (UK) »
Dear All who have replied to my query.  Many thanks, the response is much appreciated. :) :) :)

I don't know how to reply and thank each of you individually so I will reply, clarifying what I already know and what I need to know if that is OK.

David OWEN was my Great Grandfather, he was born in Wales, `14th July, 1859 in Davies Row, Michaelstone Lower, parents William and Mary Ann (Phillips).  I have his Birth Certificate.  He was their eldest child.  His sister Ann was born in 1861.

In the 1861 Census, he is not with his parents but with his maternal Grandparents, Thomas and Mary PHILLIPS, at Ty Mewydd Loughor, Carmarthenshire.  David's parents William and Mary Ann were at 15 Davies Row  Michaelstone Super Avon with his sister Ann (0) and ? his G/father David Owen (60) and ? an Aunt Catherine (16).  This is feasible as children often went to live/stay with Grandparents etc, esp. as there was a new baby in the house.

Despite spending many hours going through records, I have been unable to find him in the 1871 Census or in any shipping records to Australia. (Someone from Wales on this site thought he might have come out as a Seaman aged 16, I'm not convinced of this). Ann and George were his siblings and he also had another brother Ronald who didn't come to Australia, instead resided in Wales, but was the Chief Engineer on the Ship the Queen Mary and thus visited his siblings often.

The next thing I have been able to find out about him was when he married
Arundel Francis Howe, 1882, and I do have the info about their children and the 1903 Electoral Roll

So for now the most important thing I need to find out is where was he and who was he with from 1861 to 1882 and when and how did he come to Australia.  Once I have this info I will continue with rest of the story.  I appreciate all the info I have received and will collate that in the meantime.

Many thanks once again.

Chrissie.   :) :) :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 July 11 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you check our Rchat resources for NSW you find Christ Church Cathedrals images of their parish records ...... including BDM info  AND ... family sheets ..... That church is C of E at Newcastle and could be of interest.   

Also transcripts of Death certs should show not just burial details but also length of time in the colonies.   Perhaps the informant would have known the exact year of arrival.

Cheers   JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Chrissie246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 July 11 01:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks JM.  I will look at getting the Death Certs.  They were Methodists, my G/Grandfather, David Owen, being a Lay Preacher as well as the Mayor of Carrington at some stage.

I think I may need to make a visit to Newcastle to check through some more records.

Cheers.  Chrissie.  :) :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 July 11 02:43 BST (UK) »
Re David Owen

From the NSW SRO online index, date of death 13 January 1947, with probate granted 17 April 1947.  The contacts contents of that packet can be purchased via their online site, or if you are close to Kingswood NSW you can of course inspect and copy them there.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/  Archives Investigator using the simple search option and the keywords "David Owen death"   You can use that same search option for any likely probate packet up to around 1950 at present.  (surname followed by the word 'death' and 'all words')

From NSW BDM online
David Owen's 1947 death was registered at Mayfield (which is in the Newcastle area) with parents as William and Mary Ann .... the ref #4379

Cheers,  JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 July 11 03:05 BST (UK) »
David Owen's 1947 death was registered at Mayfield (which is in the Newcastle area) with parents as William and Mary Ann .... the ref #4379 JM

His brother GEORGE died in 1947 too!!

Of interest in the light of Chrissie mentioning another brother of the two named RONALD, that GEORGE and second wife ALICE named a boy RONALD.

He died in 1950 (19344 Bankstown)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chrissie246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 July 11 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi JM and Sue,

Many thanks.  I will get that Probate stuff, may prove interesting.  He lived with his eldest daughter Evangeline at Mayfield.

I am learning a lot about George, someone I had not heard of until recently, but I had heard about Auntie Annie.

Cheers Chrissie.   :) :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 July 11 03:26 BST (UK) »
The NSW SRO index also has the divorce papers indexed for George Owen's divorce from Marcella.  It was in 1906.  These can be ordered via the online option also.  

I have copies of NSW divorce papers from 1910 for one of my forebears, and that file was several hundred pages of A4 and A3 records, including bdm certificates and the SIGNED statements from all the witnesses etc, who included family members.  It confirmed so much information that I had already researched over many decades, all in the one file !  I think it was possibly the best $40 I ever spent on FH research.   The signatures and the statements alone explained an extended family, several children fostered INTO the family were babies whose mums died at their births and were cousins etc ....  Middle names fell into place, a mystery or two was solved, and there were so many NSW certificates which in that era were foolscap (portrait), and both sides of those forms were completed.  One statement from a witness completely confirmed back three earlier generations, mentioned the ship of arrival and the actual date of landing in Sydney.  

Of course, that does not mean that your George's divorce papers would have that detail.  The divorce that I had researched was for a female (a direct ancestor of mine) seeking a divorce from her husband, and she sought custody of the children and was not naming a co-respondent.  It was not usual for a female to seek a divorce under those circumstances, particularly as her husband sought to have her return to the marriage.  The usual grounds for divorce were adultery. None was admitted by either the wife or the husband.  The divorce was granted to the female and she retained full custody of the children, and the husband was ordered to pay maintenance, all the court fees, all his wife's fees etc.  Very unusual, perhaps that is why the file is so very detailed with so many witnesses called to the NSW Supreme Court.    

However, it may be that George Philip Owen's divorce from Marcella may have the vital clues for Chrissie.  (ref #  5585 of 1906)

Cheers,  JM