Author Topic: Baronial Terrace Radnor Park  (Read 13290 times)

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baronial Terrace Radnor Park
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
I have been onto the Clydebank Library and they said they have got old maps plus area books so I hope that I will have some luck on the 16th as I am not having much luck now will let you know .also when you say that Shamrock street has changed in what way ?

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
Good you got some news from Cydebank Library.  I still have the feeling that Radnor Park is where your Grandfather was born,  I'm sure that area was known as the Terraces.  Could your GGrandma just have been friends with someone she met when she came up to Glasgow to live?... its another possibility.
I know you are going up to Glasgow on 16Th..its a long journey.. maybe I don't want you to get to disappointed looking for your streets.  Renfield Street is much the same if you have the right number I'm sure you will see the shop you are looking for its right in the City centre.   If I remember right..there is not much left of Shamrock street...there's one old building left but most of it is now flats.  Its next to Stow college, I think it came under the district of Garnethill/Cowcaddens.  Its just off junction 17 as you come into Glasgow if you are driving..  You could try google maps street level...you can view the street.
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 April 11 07:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 April 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Myrram I am back from Glasgow and some good news and some bad firstly , you were right Renfield street was still there except the part I needed which is now Tesco's bank , Shamrock street is no longer there and not much info from the Mitchell so I headed fro Clydebank library and what help I had from Mary and Jo they managed to find Baronial Terrace and yes you were right it was part of the terraces but has now changed to 33 Granville Street they even had pictures of it and records of it being their rented home and shop fantastic so thank you all for all your help ,Going now for a well earned rest !!!

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
You are very welcome....good to know that your trip wasn't all bad.  I feel that when you are dealing with the unknown as in Ancestry...it helps  if you know where you are at before you start out.  The girls in Clydebank Library seem to have helped as well..that's good, and to see  pictures of how it was  back in Grandfathers time, helps put  some of the missing pieces more together.
I'm happy that I was able to help. Take care
Myyran.

Offline weechookieburdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 April 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I am wondering if anybody can help me ,my Grandfather Percy Albert Ellis was born at 7 Baronial Terrace in Radnor Park Dumbarton in 1893 just wondering if anybody is able to help me with this as I know that after it was bombed they tore it down rebuilt it and gave it new names .I am coming up that way in April and would love to be able to go and find the street .Can anybody help.Regards Fiona ???

Small world! I have just discovered (via the 1901 census) that my great-grandparents and my grandfather lived in 10 Baronial Terrace Radnor Park! Had never heard of it before until now. As the last Scottish descendent from him I am still in Clydebank, only 10 mins walk from where Granville Street is now.

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 April 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat....its amazing the interesting topics that you can find here.  I'm sure if you go along to Clydebank Library...you will find out a lot more about Baronial Terrace.

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 11 05:38 BST (UK) »
And my great grandparents lived at 20 Baronial Terrace, Radnor Park, during the 1901 Census.   :)
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline weechookieburdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 May 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
Wow, small world right enough!  ;D