Author Topic: John Morgan-Tredegar  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: John Morgan-Tredegar
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 May 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
The photo is the one on Trove, he certainly looks a character.  Thanks for all your efforts and interest in this topic.  Pte Emrys Morgan's army papers throw up some red herrings.  The first few pages he is listed as David Morgan born in the parish of Tredegar, father John Morgan Windsor Street, Merewether, Newcastle, NSW.  Then after he gave a satisfactory explanation his name appears thereafter as Emrys Morgan, born in Bargoed?????.   Then there is the record of death listing his parents as David & Catherine.  Will I ever get to the bottom of this intriguing chase, time will tell

It has been a pleasure having your help on this one, best regards
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 May 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

Really doesn't help, does it, Emrys calling himself David!  The death records I've seen look like this:

Emerys (sic) Morgan
d 1928 Randwick NSW
Father's name John, Mother's name Margaret

John Morgan
d 1926 Merewether NSW
Father's name David, Mother's name Catherine

I guess by the time Emrys died the family might not have been sure of John's first wife's name, or were maybe not sure which children had which mother.  Another confusion is that Emrys's age is given as 43 in his obituary on Trove but the passenger/immigration records in 1887 show him aged 11, which lines up well enough with the birth details I found.

Drosybont

Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 May 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Of course it was; David and Catherine were the parents of John Morgan not Emrys's..........now I'm getting confused.  It's time I give it a rest.
Cheers, Roy 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk