Author Topic: Alice Chapman from Foxton who married Moses Yeomans  (Read 2586 times)

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice Chapman from Foxton who married Moses Yeomans
« on: Sunday 20 October 13 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have hit a bit of a brick will with Moses Yeomans so I thought I would go down his wifes line but I can't find her either! Can anyone find an Alice Chapman born in about 1806 and according to census 1851 born in Foxton. The information I have gleemed so far is:

Moses Yeomans b. 1797 married Alice Chapman, Foxton, Leicestershire 2 August 1830. Moses records his place of birth on the census in 3 different places, in 3 different counties though his age remains constant. He could be the Moses Yeomans born to Thomas and Susan in 1797 Sawbridgeworth but it can not be proved beyond reasonable doubt and none of his children bore those names. He did when he is in the workhouse say he was born Desbourgh where there are many Yeomans including a Thomas and Susanna in the early 1810s. I could never however trace the couple of brothers of Moses or Thomas and Susanna after that.

Moses was a stocking maker, framework knitter, agricultural labourer depending on what census, Moses and Alice were constant with their parish abode living in Foxton until 1871 when he was placed in the poor house. Moses and Alice had 6 known children as follows; Ann ch. 12 Jun 1831, John c. 5 January 1834 d. 5 February 1834, Emma ch. 3 May 1835, Lydia b. 1840, Joseph b. 1843 and Louise b. 1847.

Any help gratefully accepted

Debs

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Chapman from Foxton who married Moses Yeomans
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 October 13 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi - I've found a couple of newspaper refs if you haven't already seen them - one re his death in

1871 & the other in 1837 re selling of his house.

Regards

Everlea.

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, no I had not seen those reports, don't know why I never looked. It does confirm the birth of Moses as 1797 which is the same year as the Moses born to Thomas and Susanna in Sawbridge.

The only other Chapman family I can find in Foxton is around a Thomas Chapman born Foxton 1805 married to a woman nearly 30 years his senior. When I traced them to the 1841 census there is a William Chapman born about 1776 have no idea if they are part of the family I am looking for?

Of- course without looking at the original parish records for Moses Yeomans and Alice Chapman I don't know if Alice had been married before and Chapman was her married name.

All sent to try us!

Debs

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 October 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
Agreed! Looks like there was a prominent Chapman family in Foxton - don't know if they might be yours.

Everlea.