Author Topic: Burcot Burial records - 1670s  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Shortcut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burcot Burial records - 1670s
« on: Tuesday 16 April 13 02:19 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone who researches Oxfordshire records can assist me to find relevant burial records.

I have a person who died at Burcot (or Burcott) in about 1676 /1677 and wonder where I might find (or access) the record of his burial, assuming it was at or near Burcot(t).

Thanks

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Burcot Burial records - 1670s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Shortcut

Welcome to Roots - I am sure you will be offered all the assistance you need in here.

Now first things first. Many people will help you but - and I am sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs - you need to add as much info as possible.
It is possible from your query that rather than looking for a particular person you are looking for the actual records themselves?
So please clarify that.

If it is the records you are looking for then they are not within the Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) collection of CD's for the nearest parish - Clifton Hampden,OXF-AB01.
In fact I cannot see them listed seperateley anywhere on their indexing. They may be part of the PR's for Dorchester which are on CD OXF-WAL02 - sadly I do not have a copy of that CD to look.

I hope someone from OFHS will be along in a while and tell you where the PR's for Burcot are recorded - IF - they have been transcribed.

If it is a person you are searching for then please include as much information as you have, full name, dates, partners name and also children because there are so many people out here waiting to help but they do need basic info to begin helping you with you search.

I hope this has been of assistance and not too rudimentary?

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
This may help you discover where the records are. It looks like they are part of the Dorchester PR's. The originals of those are held in the Oxfordshire County Archives, Cowley, Oxford. The contents have mainly been transcribed by OFHS but as I say above I do not see Burcot within the OFHS index, so you may need to ask them direct if no one offers on here?

Burcot lies on the north bank of the Thames, 1¾ miles north-west of Dorchester. Its historical relationship with Dorchester cannot be precisely defined: for long it has been dependent ecclesiastically on Dorchester (fn. 1) but independent for civil purposes. (fn. 2) In the 18th century it was described as a separate parish, and in the 19th century was placed in a different registration district and rural district from Dorchester. (fn. 3)

In 1932 Burcot civil parish was transferred to Clifton Hampden. (fn. 4) Its area in 1881 was 679 acres, of which 21–6 were detached meadow (Revell Mead) and lay in Clifton Hampden. (fn. 5) The only natural boundary is the River Thames, which has naturally played an important part in the economy.
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

St Mary Burcot(t) was a Chapel of Ease to Dorchester -without registers of it's own.
"see Dorchester  registers"

These have been transcribed by OFHS  and I have the buriels to 1895-so a name would help? :)

Kim

Offline Shortcut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you NDRFT for your detailed information, and yes I should have explained things better.  I was seeking advice about where the actual burial records were held, but there is a particular entry that I'm trying to track down.

Thank you Kimbrey for your offer to check the transcriptions of the Dorchester burials.  One burial record that I am trying to find is for George Goodwin who it seems died at Burcot sometime from early 1675 to end of 1677, but probably during 1677.

Thanks

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 April 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi shortcut

There are only 3 Goodwin buriels in the Dorchester transcripts no George among them

I thought you might like the ones that are there

20 Sept 1667-Mary Goodwin w of Stephen
01 Aug 1671-Stephen Goodwin s Stephen Goodwin Minister
1686/7-no dates,just a list of buriels
John Goodwin

Kim

Kim

Offline Shortcut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Kimbrey for looking up your records.  I guess I now have to think of other options.