Author Topic: Cowie  (Read 6066 times)

Offline scottishmist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cowie
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 March 14 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all thank you all for the help
I have look at Station Road, Cowie on google maps and sadly looks like it's all put down  ... I will go and look and see if they are any old photo of station road
cheers Jan
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,McClean,Chrisholm
Houston:Whyte
Ayrshire:McIlwraith,McCulloch
Kirkcubright:Halliday,Blackloch

Offline CharlieEndell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Can anyone help find a Louden Ville, Cowie
I have just download a death cert and address is giving as Louden Ville, Cowie stirling
but not much more
I wound be so grateful for any help
Jan
Hi Jan, just seen this. Louden Villa is still there in Station Road, Cowie and now owned by Norbord (the MDF factory) who have converted it into offices. Norbord factory is located on old Station Road and Louden Villa is on other side of road, the last house on right just before old Plean Junction Railway Station. It used to be main road out of Cowie but is a dead end now just after Louden Villa.

Offline CharlieEndell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan, just seen this. Louden Villa is still there in Station Road, Cowie and now owned by Norbord (the MDF factory) who have converted it into offices. Norbord factory is located on old Station Road and Louden Villa is on other side of road, the last house on right just before old Plean Junction Railway Station. It used to be main road out of Cowie but is a dead end now just after Louden Villa.

Offline rober50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 December 17 05:09 GMT (UK) »
I was born in cowie and the house you are talking about was owned by the family Lawson for many years , they have now all left the village

Offline CharlieEndell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you are correct of course, they lived there for years, long before the Chipboard factory was built. Don`t know what became of the Lawson family. I remember that they had a Shetland pony named, "Humphrey".

Dr Fleming, mentioned earlier, resided there after the War and the house is still there. All the houses on Station Road are now owned by Norboard.

I often wonder what became of Capt Merriman and family who used to stay in the Pit Manager`s House on Main Street, next to Cowie Bowling Club. His wife was dentist and they had one son, when they left Cowie, named Jamie.

Offline rober50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 January 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a good Facebook group about cowie , there is a chap called John  McFarlane in it who has a great knowledge of all the cowie Old stuff

Offline rober50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 January 18 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I meant John Whitfield, he was born and bred in cowie and is a good age now and knows his stuff