Author Topic: Family information  (Read 2950 times)

Offline TracyDDavies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family information
« on: Tuesday 30 April 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hello  My Grandfathers birth cert dated 6/1/1898 has him named as Ellis Williams (father not named) and mother Jane Ellen Edwards.  The 1901 census shows him as a stepson to David Roberts and Jane now Roberts.  His name is shown as Ellis Roberts.  The 1911 shows him living in Bleanau Festiniog again as Ellis Roberts.  However they later move to South Wales and he married as Ellis William Edwards (his mothers maiden surname).  I am trying to find out who his biological father was and also where he lived after 1911 and what year he came to South Wales.  Any help pleeeeese?

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Family information
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 May 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
It's difficult to know how to help; if Ellis' biological father wanted to be known, his name would have been included on the birth cert.  There are two marriages showing for Ellis W Edwards- one to Rose E Daunter in 1925, Newport, Monmouthshire with 6 possible children born 1925-1936, and one in 1937 to Winifred M Tilley in Bedwellty with 2 children born 1938 & 1935. If you have either of these, what does it say, if anything about Ellis' father?

Nothing is showing in the WW1 records for him, so no luck in tracing his movements after the 1911 census.

Not much help, I'm afraid  :(

Offline TracyDDavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your reply, sorry took so long to pick it up.  I still haven't found an answer to my question and Ive been told that the information Im looking for may be in quarter sessions or a baptism with bishops transcripts or non conformist records .  I have a feeling that the biological dad was an ellis Williams from the same area but I need some help to prove it.  I have contacted the archives office but they say they don't have anything.  Help appreciated

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 10:16 GMT (UK) »
As far as the Census entries where Ellis is surnamed Roberts,it was a fairly common event for a child or children born whilst the mother was single to be then named in Census entries under her married name.

Whilst of course it may be confusing for us to look back on these entries now,we do tend to make the mistake of expecting such entries to be "matters of fact"!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I had a similar story with the fathers name missing on a birth certificate. However I was able to resolve it as on the child's marriage certificate it luckily showed the fathers name.

Assuming you have not sent for Ellis's marriage certificate I wondered if getting it might give you the answer you are seeking?

Otherwise have you considered looking for a bastardy order that might have been issued by the local courts to ensure the child's father made a financial contribution to his upkeep?

Alan

Offline TracyDDavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 22:51 GMT (UK) »
No name of father on Ellis marriage cert and I cant seem to locate the bastardy orders which is why I need quarter sessions of batisms for this time please