Author Topic: EMERSON / BLAIR - Enniskillen - Co. Fermanagh  (Read 31590 times)

Offline KathrynK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EMERSON / BLAIR - Enniskillen - Co. Fermanagh
« Reply #27 on: Friday 27 December 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,
I really appreciated the information about William Emerson.  I am descended from his daughter Margaret, and the information you provided backs up what we know of her difficult childhood.  She went into service at an early age.  Later she married Walter Patrick and had 5 children. 
I would love to have further information about your Emerson family connection.
Thanks!
Lois

Hi Lois,
Glad this was of some help to you. My grandmother spoke of her "Aunty Mag Patrick" when I was a child. I have an old snapshot taken at the Sydney Easter Show which was of my great grandmother
(wife of Francis Emerson) with one of her sisters-in-law, either "Aunt Susie" or Aunty Mag Patrick" - I will check it and see if I have a note of the name.
My grandmother remembered them both very fondly. Someone else on this forum had the incorrect impression that the parents, William and Eliza, were uncaring and that their children were placed in a home because their parents were insolvent.
This was not the case. The children's mother died when they were very young, and the father, William, could not care for them and work also. People forget how much harder life was in those days. Washing by hand, clothes home-sewn and mended by hand, no convenience foods and a man's working hours from daylight to dark. How could a man do hard long hours of work and care properly for a young family in those times? A single working mother today has child-care, after school care, eight hour working days, washing machines and dryers, etc., and they find it difficult!
The fact that the children and their father remained in contact as adults and cared for each other into old age, despite the family being torn apart when their mother died, is an indication of the warmth and love they shared.
My grandmother was raised as the eldest of Francis Emerson's children, though in fact she was born to a single mother who later married Frank. There were seven younger children, and Frank and his wife also raised a grand-daughter as their own. Francis Emerson was a very good and hard-working father who made no distinction between his adopted daughter and his own children. He died before I was born, but I remember his children well. They were my great aunts and uncles, but because I was raised by my grandmother I was as close to them as if they were aunts and uncles. They were all kind and loving people with a love of the bush and great sense of humour.
If you are interested, I would be happy to send an invitation to my family tree on Ancestry - "Richardson Family Tree' - which has stories of each of them and photographs.
Regards
Kathryn

Offline LoisW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 December 13 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the Richardson family tree, and see the information it contains.  We have a few family photos of the Emerson family, and that confirms that the family remained close despite being split up.  It is a sad story, but from what we know of Margaret she was a kind and gentle person so her difficult beginning did not change her nature.
I am interested to know more about the Emerson family, and this was a great place to start!
Thanks for your reply!
Regards,
Lois

Offline KathrynK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 December 13 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lois,
I have sent an invitation to our tree on Ancestry. I sent it to your user name LoisW on Ancestry. Please let me know if you cannot access it.
Kath

Offline LoisW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,
Is there a family connection to Epping NSW?  The family story is that Margaret had a connection to some property there and I wonder if that was through Francis, or any other member of the Emerson family.
I don't think I have all the members of the family, as I only found 5 children of William and Eliza.  Where did the family live, before Eliza's death and then William with the remaining family?
I am not a member of Ancestry just yet, but hope to get to that family tree!
Thanks again.
Lois

Offline LoisW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Paddy

I also have EMERSONs from Tempo, FER on my family tree.

Eliza EMERSON b. abt 1844 in Tempo was my Great Grandmother. She died in 1884 in Ayr St, Auckland, NZ. She had emigrated first to Australia marrying my Great Grandfather William Henry LEONARD in Sydney 9 June 1868. The couple moved to NZ the same year.

Eliza's parents were Francis EMERSON and Susan CURRY. I have no further information on them.

I have 2 siblings recorded for Eliza.

William EMERSON b. abt 1836 at Enniskillen, FER. He married Eliza COULTER in 1864 in Sydney, AUS. I have details of 7 children some of whom ended up in Randwick Asylum because of the insolvency of the parents.

Susan EMERSON was born abt. 1841 in Enniskillen, FER. She married Christopher EGAN in Sydney 17 Sept. 1869. I have details of 4 kids. They also ended up on hard times.

I'm not sure if we can make any links out of all of this.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,
I have contacted another Emerson connection who is descended from Francis and Susannah.  She has a connection to William, as do I.  Have you had any further luck tracing Francis and Susannah?  I am only just starting work on the Emerson family, and it is great that there are some good connections already.
I am interested in the NZ connection!
Regards,
Lois

Offline KathrynK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lois,
I'm not sure where my Grandma's Aunt Margaret Patrick lived, but it was somewhere in Sydney area because the families appear to have kept in fairly frequent contact.
Francis and his wife Henrietta owned an orchard at Epping in Boundary Road where they grew peaches, and kept chooks and a cow. This is where my grandmother and her brothers and sisters grew up.
I wish I could tell you more about "Aunty Mag Patrick". She was known by this name because Henrietta also had a sister called Margaret who was "Aunty Mag Catt".
If you wish to send an email address I could send some photos and stories of the family.

Offline LoisW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 January 14 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,
Margaret Emerson lived in Gipps Street, Paddington and, after her marriage to Walter Patrick, they lived in Percival Road, Stanmore.  They had 5 children, but one had died by 1908 (have no details).  Walter Patrick was a hairdresser and his shop still is a hairdressing salon adjacent the Stanmore train station.
The family left Sydney for Adelaide in 1918.
Regards,
Lois