Author Topic: Can anyone help trace a Martin Haskett in New York in 1913  (Read 1665 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help trace a Martin Haskett in New York in 1913
« on: Wednesday 26 September 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
My second great uncle, Martin Haskett travelled from Queenstown, Ireland to New York in 1902, and again a second time in 1913 (He must have come back to Ireland for a visit). According to the entry record in 1902, he is staying in Brooklyn with his brother, George Haskett. But according to the 1913 entry, he is staying with his sister in law, "Christine Wistergard" - it's very difficult to make it out properly, it could be "Christine Watergard" or "Christine Waterford". Her address is listed as 287, 9th Avenue, Brooklyn. Her first name could also be Christine. I have no information about Martin after this entry record. Does anyone have any information on this Martin Haskett, or Christine?

Martin was born November 12th, 1872 in Ballina, Co. Tipperary, Ireland. His parents were George Haskett and Anne Haskett (nee Ryan). His entry records can be found here:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=MARTIN&LNM=HASKETT&PLNM=HASKETT&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1

Copyright images removed

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help trace a Martin Haskett in New York in 1913
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
On the New York City death index at www.italiangen.org, there is a Martin Haskett who died at age 42 on 24 Jan. 1915 in Kings County (which is Brooklyn).  Thought that might be a possible match.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
On www.fultonhistory.com, in the personal column in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle newspaper dated 21 Jan. 1912, there is this:  "Information wanted of Martin Haskett and George Haskett by J.H. Hubbell & Co., 360 Broadway, N.Y. City."

There is a Martin Haskett, age 37, on a passenger list from New York to Queenstown, arriving 25 Oct. 1912.  He was listed as a labourer and a US citizen with the US as country of last permanent residence with country of intended future residence listed as a foreign country.  Everyone on the page was listed as a US citizen with the US as country of last permanent residence & country of intended future residence listed as a foreign country, which seems a bit unusual to me.

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks shellyesq, some very interesting pieces of information. From a quick Google, it looks like Hubbell may have been a legal firm in New York. That sounds ominous!

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
That does look like it could be a good match for his death. I have requested a copy of his death certificate based on that information.

I see on the death index that there is a George who died at 69 years of age in 1934. That matches up with my records for Martin's brother.

George (christened Patrick George) was born in 1866 in Ballina, Tipperary.

So it looks like George Haskett travelled to New York before Martin. I wonder if we could find entry records for him?

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Another thing shellyesq - you may be able to help me identify Martin's profession in his entry record in 1913. In 1902, he was listed as a farmer, in 1913, it looks like he was listed as a "Salon Attdt"? Does that look about right to you?

Thanks

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Might this be a fit for George on the 1900 Census?    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MSFN-RGW

There was a George Haskett on the grooms' index on the italiangen site who married an Ellen in Kings Co.  I thought maybe if Nellie was a nickname for Ellen, this might be them in the 1920 census:    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MJ55-WQS  There is a death for Nellie Haskett in Kings Co. in 1922.

Assuming this is the right family, there are possible matches for the son George & daughter Mary in the 1930 Census.  George was a farm laborer in a trade school, and Mary was in an industrial school, both in Suffolk Co., New York.

I think salon attendant looks like what it says.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen it, there is some discussion of this family here:  http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.ireland.cla.general/3682.1/mb.ashx

I found an obituary for George's daughter Margaret.  I will send it to you via private message.

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 September 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if that's our George in the 1920 census. His wife is listed as Anny.

Karen Haskett Wenick seemed pretty sure on that thread on ancestry.com that her grandfather George was Martin's brother. And she lists Nellie as her grandmother, so that seems like it could be the key. The records for George and Ellen seem to stack up, so we could be onto a winner here. The dates are a little out, but I would expect that for the time. I replied to Karen's message back in August, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

The only thing that confuses me is the sister in law "Christine" from Martin's port entry record in 1902. Her name ("Wistergard"?, "Waterford"?) would have been "Haskett" if she was married to Martin's brother George (or indeed any other brother). This confuses me. Unless Martin himself was married, and his wife's sister was named Christine? That would make her his sister in law. But I don't know of any marriage records for Martin, either in Ireland or in NY. Another piece of the puzzle!

A little more information on the family:

George Haskett (Senior) married Anne Ryan Feb 1961 (Ballina, Co. Tipperary)

Children were:

Michael (b. May 1864)
Patrick "George" (b. 1866) (lived in NY)
James (b. 1868)
Mary-Ann (1870 - 1871) died at 11 months old
Martin (b. Nov 1972)  (lived in NY)
David (b. Aug 1876)  (stayed in Ireland, my great grandfather)