Author Topic: Regan family link Magherafelt/Innascairn/Coolsaragh/Dessertmartin  (Read 2373 times)

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regan family link Magherafelt/Innascairn/Coolsaragh/Dessertmartin
« on: Monday 08 September 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a small branch of my tree which I know are relatives I’m just not sure how it fits in to my main tree............I have a theory:
In my small branch have an Edward Regan 1788 – 1870 from Magherafelt, Derry who I believe might link to a James Regan DOB 1838 from Innascairn/Desertmartin Derry in my main tree and I think the link could be that James is Edwards nephew given the age gap. I know the link has to come down the male link as the Regan name is consistent.  My query is given the Irish records and the dates involved I can’t find either James’s parents or Edwards siblings any suggestions of where else to look............I would love to be able to tie the branches together on paper. Many thanks

Offline Bannerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Regan family link Magherafelt/Innascairn/Coolsaragh/Dessertmartin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 00:39 BST (UK) »
Could this be your Edward?

1831 census for Iniscarn, Desertmartin has Edward Regan household, 1 male, 2 females, RC. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-33746-4206-78?cc=2334949

The will of Edward Regan late of Coolsara County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 4 March 1870 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Bernard Regan Coolsara (Desertmartin) aforesaid Farmer the sole Executor. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23406-7896-87?cc=1921305

And ironically a few days earlier on 01 March 1870 the birth of Edward Regan to Bernard and Elizabeth Mc Christal in Draperstown https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5C4-CHY

And then there is this - the marriage of Bernard O'Regan b. 1836, age 32 to Elizabeth McCrystal b. 1846, age 22 on Nov 7 1868, Inniscara, Londonderry. Father's name Edward O'Regan, spouse's father's name  Patrick McCrystal. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGZR-1V2

Regards
Derry / Londonderry - McCready, McGruddy, Carlin, McShane, Wilson, Cleary, Crockett
Castlederg - Baxter, Wilson
Inishowen - Callaghan, Duffy, Blieu, Grant, Coyle
Delta County, MI, USA - Cleary
Boston - Ballou
Nova Scotia - Ballou

"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bannerman I have those details....what I'm trying to find is Edwards siblings or James's parents to see if this is the link. Looking at the 2 branches on the tree this is the obvious link between them that Edward and James are Uncle and Nephew................ but struggling to find the proof

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bannerman I have those details....

That's the problem with having more than one post for similar topics (if you do need to start a new topic then it's best to provide a link to the old one so that people don't waste time searching for information you've already found).

Earlier thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=696194.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
not sure what your comment is aghadowey this is a new post and hasn't been posted before so there is no other old topic to link it to....it is a new topic

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Your earlier post was entitled Regan family who lived in Coolsara/Inniscairn/Desertmartin (very similar name to this topic) and posted there (by me) on page 1 of 3 was-

There is clearly more than one family group here (although they may be related to each other).

Edward Regan (c1788-1870).
Death: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRRY-K38
The Will of Edward Regan late of Coolsara County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 4 March 1870 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Bernard Regan of Coolsara (Desertmartin) aforesaid Farmer the sole Executor. Will mentions wife, son Bernard, daughter Bridget wife of Pat Bradley, dau. Margaret (America).  ...

You've then started asking for details of that Edward Regan on this topic which is why a link to the earlier thread would have been a good idea.

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
This is a completely different query, so not the same post.........I am asking for suggestions of how to find Edwards siblings or James parents in order to link them together.........given the lack of records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
No, it's not an identical post but the details about that Edward Regan posted on your other topic are relevant to your new topic here about Edward's family.

Hopefully someone else will be willing to help but finding siblings for a man born in 1700s is going to be extremely difficult without resources such as church records.

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
I wasn't actually asking for help to find the siblings I ask in my post if anybody has any suggestions of where to look that might help me find the details