Author Topic: McGuire/Maguire from Cavan to South Australia  (Read 8626 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: McGuire/Maguire from Cavan to South Australia
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 14 December 13 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Of course, if you are looking for a male birth in 1858, then there’s also a Judith MAGUIRE giving birth 18 August 1858 to a male infant, onboard the Frenchman.   So, Catherine Maguire aged 2 succumbed 9 August 1858 from Rubella/Pertussis, and her mum gave birth to their next baby, less than a fortnight later.  This info is on that shipping list link.  :)   Born at Sea, so possibly NOT registered in South Australia's civil BDM.   BUT possibly a SA baptism may have been indexed ?

Cheers,  JM

I'm trying to find out how they got to Australia, I am struggling to find the family in shipping records etc.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 December 13 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Ben's profile shows he is in Adelaide which is the same city as the State Library of South AUstralia which is listed as a location of a source cited by the transcriber I mentioned earlier.

Perhaps HUgh Maguire was married then widowed and re married before migrating. PErhaps Judith was step mother to the children born in Ireland. BUT I am speculating.

To disgard the  factoid from the relevent  fact   I think BEn needs to investigate deeper into the physical records that support the online listing he is considering re Hugh and Judith/Susan..... He is in Adelaide so he could well Aim to get as close to the primary source as possible.  Any Index is only ever a pointer whether it is a online database or an earlier ticklercard system catalogue or just a list .. it is simply an index so its main purpose is to give pointer/s to source document/s.

Fingers crossed that Ben will be off to his local STate  (public)  Librrary and be accessing their treasures asap

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for the help. Will definitely look up the source material more thoroughly.  :)
Nicholson, Frampton, Leggett, Welke. Taylor, Riseborough, Edwards, Miles. Cahalan, Larkin, McGure, Wyman. Potter, Hussey, Clendinnen, Ellis.