Author Topic: Completed with Thanks - Where's Rev William Powell buried?  (Read 6508 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Completed with Thanks - Where's Rev William Powell buried?
« on: Monday 27 February 12 06:50 GMT (UK) »
This may be on totally the wrong board!  Let me explain; -

My ancestor, the Rev. William Powell (b. 1769 d. 1863) was the Vicar of Abergavenny for a good number of years, however after his wife Olive Mary (also his first cousin) died in 1858, I gather he moved/was moved to Cheltenham in Gloucester.

Now, since his wife died in Aber (12/2/1858), I would assume she was buried in Aber.  I realise it's possible she was buried in Tooting, near her family and where she had grown up ... but for the life of me I can't find her anywhere!  And the same applies to Rev. William, who died in Cheltenham on 26/4/1863; - was he buried with his wife? ... And was that in Abergavenny, ... or in Tooting?  Or was he buried somewhere in Cheltenham?

Confused?  I certainly am!  :-\
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Rev William Powell buried?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Source: Glos Archives P78/1 IN 1/68 H, St Mary, Cheltenham, Burials, 27th April 1863 to 20th May 1863:-
There is NO entry for a burial of William POWELL during the above dates at St Mary, Cheltenham which is the main parish church in Cheltenham.
There is, also, up to a further 20 parish churches in Cheltenham which I couldn't possibly check.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Victor - much appreciated.   Maybe my eyes aren't as bad as I'd thought they might be!

Cheers
Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the deceased online site.  I'll try and find the link for you.
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bertie - but he doesn't seem to be there, either  :-\

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick scan through the British Library digitised newspapers. By narrowing the search to late April/early May and the exact phrase "William Powell" I got a few encouraging hits, and specifically p9 of the Hereford Times for 2 May: the search returned:

"Rev. William Powell was born at Abergavenny, on the 17th of Decembrr, 1769. His father was the Rev. William Powell, M.A., vicar of Llantilio Pertholey, and a magistrate for the county of Monmouth. His paternal ancestors had been clergymen for many..."

This is a pay-per-view site and I don't currently have any credits, but an investment of a small amount of money might produce some good info. (I've had huge success in my researches already)

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Nothing in the National Burial Index either.

Graham
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline niceguy3399

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 02:14 BST (UK) »
Deb,

I was looking through the post when I came upon yours. I think there is a strong possibility that we are related. My great grand mother was Emma Jane Powell born to Geo. Powell. She was born in 1853 and emigrated to Kansas in 1871 with her family. She married Lemuel Griffin in 1973. She was born in Llantillio Crosseney. I also know her mother's maiden last name was Morgan. I also know that a part of the family moved to Australia. Is there a connection?