Author Topic: dryden  (Read 9422 times)

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: dryden
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Wonderful additions to the family tree and clarifies the connection to the Jardine 'cousins', who were said to have made their fortune in Hong Kong.  Thank you!

Offline Sarah Armstrong

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 16 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my husband and I are the most recent owners of Kinnel Mill (aka Kinnelbanks Mill). I would be interested in any information about the mill and previous owners. We would like to restore the mill, so any photos of how it has looked in the past would be useful. We haven't seen a photo of it with a roof!

In an ideal world we would like to reinstate the water wheel to create hydroelectric energy to power the cottages, and make the mill into a bothy for any passing cyclists or walkers on the Annandale Way route which passes past the property, who may have an interest in the historic  buildings along the route, hence our request for information as we would provide an information board or similar interpretive media. However, we are still looking into funding/grants etc so not sure how realistic that is yet! Also, if there are any records of the mill flooding that would also be useful!

Offline nemisis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 March 16 17:26 GMT (UK) »
hi  my grand parents lived at the mill, he was a master miller I have 1 photo of the standing in the doorway, I also have a few birth certs and death certs for him, his name was Herbert, my mother was born in Glasgow. I have been trying to trace any of the family but so far no luck, I have never met any of that sie of the family
 my mail addy is (*)
regards ray

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
dryden (scotland)
 lovesee(lambeth)  before 1850
fisk,usa australia

Offline ParkAMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 February 19 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello nemisis
I am new to genealogy and I am keen to find out more about my late mother's life. She lived at Kinnelbanks for a while as a child abt 1926 I would guess. Her Great Grandfather was Herbert Kennedy Dryden b 1827 and he was married to Jean Aitken on 23rd December 1849. His mother was Helen Paul I don't know who his father was. I wonder if the photo you have could also be a relative of mine?
Common family Dumfriesshire and Scottish Borders; Drydens of Lochmaben and surrounds; Smiths of Halfmorton, Dumfriesshire. Also Parks of Ayrshire; Lawrie (Lowrie; Laurie).

Offline ParkAMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am an ancestor of the Dryden's of Lochmaben, my great grandfather ran the mill in Dunscore, built in 1300 . I have been to both mills and have photos, as well as family pics from the mill

Hi kiltwithaview. My great grandmother was Isabella Kirk Dryden one of eight children of Herbert Kennedy Dryden b abt 1827 and married to Jean Aitken on 23/12/1849. In 1861, 1871, 1881 they were living at Kinnelbanks, Lochmaben. Herbert K Dryden died in 1883 and is buried in Lockerbie. My late mother also stayed there as a child, and I believe she stayed at Dunscore. Very interested in your photos and any other info you may have.
Common family Dumfriesshire and Scottish Borders; Drydens of Lochmaben and surrounds; Smiths of Halfmorton, Dumfriesshire. Also Parks of Ayrshire; Lawrie (Lowrie; Laurie).

Offline ParkAMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
I have Drydens from Lochmaben in my tree.
I am a descendent of Herbert Dryden(1754-?) and Sarah Johnstone(?-?) who married in 1779 in Lochmaben. Happy to share my tree if you this is the Dryden you are looking for.
Lesley

Lesley perhaps we are related! My Great Great Grandfather was Herbert K Dryden b abt 1827 d 1883 buried in Lockerbie and his daughter Isabella Kirk Dryden was my Great Grand Mother. Would you share your family tree with me so that I can check the connection. My late mum lived at Kinnelbanks for a wee while as a child.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I am trying piece together a tree for the Dryden family of Lochmaben, Dumfries, founders of Kinnelbanks Mill (its ruins now a registered historic monument). 
Does anyone have access to Lochmaben's C18th parish registers?
Many thanks.

These can  be accessed through Scotlands People.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)