Author Topic: Rennie - Smiddyhill  (Read 16865 times)

Offline inss03

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rennie - Smiddyhill
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 September 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi - i'm looking for information on a David Rennie who was the Ploughman for John and Grace Rennie at Allanfauld in 1861.

I suspect that David is related in some way and wondered if you had any further information on the Rennie of Kilsyth family tree.

I'm particularly interested in a John Rennie  b. 1781 who married an Isabella Mason and had four children that i'm aware of.

David Rennie b. 14 April 1806
John Rennie b. 12 Sept 1801
Robert Rennie b. 20 March 1808
William Rennie b. 12 July 1815

Thanks
Anthony
Rennie
Thomson
Taylor

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 December 11 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of information on the Rennies from Kilsyth. The Rennies from Smiddyhill (or Smithyhill) were related to my family and I have a family tree showing all the connections.

I have James Mathie Rennie born 1 Oct 1809 Balmalloch, Kilsyth; son of Alexander Rennie and Elizabeth Kerr (Carr). He was a farmer and breeder of prize winning Ayrshire cattle in Kessington.  The memorial inscription in New Kilpatrich reads:
ERECTED BY JAMES RENNIE
FARMER KESSINGTON
IN MEMORY OF
MARY SCOTT
HIS WIFE
WHO DIED 8th JANUARY 1860
AGED 50 YEARS
JAMES RENNIE
DIED 3rd JANUARY 1862
AGED 52 YEARS
ALSO ALEXANDER RENNIE
SON AND FARMER
DIED 11th JANUARY 1899
AGED 64 YEARS

Do you have any information on this family?
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline jrskye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 December 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I have some information on the Kessington Rennies. My g-g-grandfather was an older brother of James Mathie Rennie. There were 4 children: Alexander, Mary, James and Elizabeth. Mary and Elizabeth married and had family. Mary married John Simpson Dunsmore, who was from Airdrie. They had 10 children, 3 of whom had children. Elizabeth married James Stevenson from Carluke and they had 4 children, 3 of whom had children.
Rennie (Kilsyth), Allison (Lanarkshire), Fleming (Strathaven), Dykes (Lanarkshire), Low (Fife), Strachan (Peebles), Addison (Fife) in Scotland. Robarts (Berkshire), Cowley (Stockton-on-Tees), Robinson (Sedgebrook, Lincs), Hall (Richmond, Yorks), Buckle (Richmond, Yorks) in England.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 December 11 16:50 GMT (UK) »
You will find more on Mary Kerr Rennie's descendants at this thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,543898.msg4152165.html#msg4152165

Her son, James Rennie Dunsmore, was my great grandfather.  His widow and five surviving sons followed my grandparents to Brooklyn in the 1920's.
Census 1930 Brooklyn, New York-
Name: Margaret Dunsmore
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Brooklyn (Districts 1001-1250), Kings, New York
Race: White
Birthplace: Scotland
Estimated Birth Year: 1870
Immigration Year: 1925
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Father's Birthplace: Scotland
Mother's Birthplace: Scotland
Enumeration District Number: 1141
Family Number: 406
Sheet Number and Letter: 20B
Line Number: 67
NARA Publication: T626, roll 1509
Film Number: 2341244
Digital Folder Number: 4638799
Image Number: 00510
Household                                      Gender         Age
Margaret Dunsmore                           F                  60
Child John Dunsmore                       M                 28
Child William G Dunsmore              M                 24
Child Norman Drew Dunsmore      M                 21
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline jrskye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 December 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that. Do you know what happened to Francis Paterson Dunsmore? He was born on 7 July 1900, but I have no information on what happened to him. I'd be interested in further details of the rest of the family in the USA.

James Rennie
Rennie (Kilsyth), Allison (Lanarkshire), Fleming (Strathaven), Dykes (Lanarkshire), Low (Fife), Strachan (Peebles), Addison (Fife) in Scotland. Robarts (Berkshire), Cowley (Stockton-on-Tees), Robinson (Sedgebrook, Lincs), Hall (Richmond, Yorks), Buckle (Richmond, Yorks) in England.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 December 11 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Francis Paterson Dunsmore (1900-1950?) took up residence in the Chcago area where he was employed selling mens apparel.  Late in life he married a woman with two daughters.  He had no children of his own.  John Dunsmore (1902-1950?) worked in the New York City port supervising crews of stevedores.  He had one son.  None of the other brothers had children.   William Gordon Dunsmore (1905-1975?) was a manager in a New York City bank.  He retired to West Palm Beach, Florida.  I met him only once at my grandmother's funeral in Houston.  Eric Dunsmore (1907-1924) drowned at Coney Island the first summer that his mother and brothers spent in Brooklyn.  Norman Drew Dunsmore (1909-Aug 1980) managed a Chevrolet automatic transmission factory in Toledo, Ohio.  I knew him quite well because he frequently drove down to Houston to visit his sister and two nephews.

My uncle, John Dunsmore Campbell (1923-1995), had three boys and three girls.  My parents had one son and three daughters who produced eleven grandchldren.  I can't give you a figure on the number of grandchildren my uncle obtained but I would guess at least eleven. 

Offline jrskye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 December 11 04:15 GMT (UK) »
I can send you details of our common ancestors prior to Alexander Rennie, the father of James Mathie Rennie. We go back to the 1600s. Incidentally, it transpires that Alexander's wife was actually Elizabeth Ker, not Kerr or Carr as we had originally believed. I have your grandparents on my tree, and would appreciate details of your branch.

James Rennie

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 February 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi inss03.
A close friend of mine, Rennie Johnston, is a descendant of Mason/Rennie link
v.i.z.
Modified Register for John Rennie [Cotton Handloom  Weaver]

First Generation

1.   John Rennie [Cotton Handloom Weaver]  was born in 1778 in Dunbartonshire Scotland.

John married Isabella Mason [Weft Winder]  daughter of William (John) Mason [Farmer] and Janet Allan in 1798 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland . Isabella was born in 1776 in Kirkintilloch Dunbarton Scotland. She was christened on 29 Sep 1776 in Kilsyth, Stirling, Scotland. She died on 17 Dec 1862 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

They had the following children:

2   F   i.   Janet Renny  was born on 24 Feb 1799 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

3   M   ii.   John Renny  was born on 12 Sep 1801 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

4   M   iii.   Allan Rainie  was born on 4 Sep 1803 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

+   5   M   iv.   David Rennie [Cotton Handloom Weaver]  was born on 14 Apr 1806.

6   M   v.   Robert Rennie  was born on 29 Mar 1808 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

7   F   vi.   Isabel Renny  was born on 25 Jan 1811 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

8   F   vii.   Jean Renny  was born on 25 Jan 1811 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

9   M   viii.   William Rennie  was born in Mar 1813 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

10   M   ix.   Mason Rennie  was born on 12 Jul 1815 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

Second Generation

5.   David Rennie [Cotton Handloom Weaver]  (John) was born on 14 Apr 1806 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

David married Agnes Danskine  on 10 Aug 1838 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

11   M   i.   John Rennie  was born in 1839 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

12   M   ii.   David Rennie  was born on 28 Sep 1841 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

13   F   iii.   Helen Rennie  was born on 20 May 1845 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

14   F   iv.   Isabella Rennie  was born on 13 May 1848 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

+   15   M   v.   Allan Rennie [Coal Miner]  was born in 1850. He died in 1921.

Third Generation

15.   Allan Rennie [Coal Miner]  (David, John) was born in 1850 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland. He died in 1921 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

Allan married Jane Stevenson  daughter of Joseph Stevenson [Iron Stone Miner] and Isabella Paterson on 11 Jun 1874 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland. Jane was born in 1852 in New Monkland Lanark Scotland. She was christened on 7 Nov 1852 in New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland . She died on 3 Jul 1908 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland .

16   M   i.   David Rennie  was born in 1875 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

+   17   F   ii.   Isabella Paterson Rennie  was born in 1876. She died in 1962.

18   F   iii.   Agnes Rennie  was born in 1880 in Cumbernauld, Dunbarton, Scotland.

Fourth Generation

17.   Isabella Paterson Rennie  (Allan, David, John) was born in 1876 in Cumbernauld Dunbarton Scotland. She died in 1962 in Kilsyth, Stirling, Scotland .

Isabella married Robert Johnston [Pitheadman]  son of James Johnston [Iron and Coal Miner] and Margaret Stark [Power Loom Weaver] on 30 Apr 1897 in Cumbernauld Dunbarton Scotland. Robert was born in 1875 in Kilsyth Stirling Scotland. He died on 19 Jul 1948 in Kilsyth, Stirling, Scotland .

19   M   i.   James Johnston  was born in 1897 in Cumbernauld Dunbarton Scotland.

20   F   ii.   Jeannie Johnston  was born in 1900 in Cumbernauld Dunbarton Scotland.

21   F   iii.   Margaret Johnston  was born in 1902 in Cumbernauld Dunbarton Scotland.

22   M   iv.   Allan Johnston  was born on 2 Jul 1910 in Croy Dunbarton Scotland.

+   23   M   v.   Robert Johnston  was born on 2 Jul 1910. He died in 1984.

Fifth Generation

23.   Robert Johnston  (Isabella Paterson Rennie, Allan, David, John) was born on 2 Jul 1910 in Croy Dunbarton Scotland. He died in 1984 in Stirling Stirling Scotland.

Robert married Mona Duffus Amess . Mona was born in 1913 in Stirling Stirling Scotland. She died in 2008 in Stirling Stirling Scotland.

24   F   i.   Muriel Johnston  was born in Stirling Stirling Scotland.

25   M   ii.   Rennie Johnston  was born in Stirling Stirling Scotland.

Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline inss03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi DDJJake

Thanks for this - Rennie will be my second cousin once removed then.

I'm interested in the provenance of the first generation John Rennie b1778 in Dumbartonshire. The 1841 census has him listed as being 60 - so i'd be interested to find out how this was narrowed down to 1778.

Many Thanks

Ian Rennie
Anthony
Rennie
Thomson
Taylor