Author Topic: Matthew Cullen  (Read 20424 times)

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Cullen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
My Cullen, Catherine, married Matthew O'Brien.  However, I do not know where my O'Brien family is from in Ireland at this time.

Let me know if I can help on the U.S. side.

Matthew O'Brien (County Carlow or Wicklow) and Catherine Cullen (Ballinguile Wicklow)

Offline mschramm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 September 11 04:24 BST (UK) »
Matthew Cullen is my great great grandfather.  He and wife Mary settled Marietta, Ohio.  He died 8 Feb 1885.  She died 14 May 1889.  They had five children:  John (born Ireland 1847), Edward (b. 1851 in America), Michael (b. 1853 in Ohio), Margaret (b. about 1855), and Mari Helen (b. 1858).  Matthew and Mary have always been a dead end for me, so I was excited to learn of Mary's parents in your thread.  Would love to hear more about your interest and what you know.
Cullen, Doyle, Myers, Schramm, Pfaff, Best, Sprankel, Steuber, Berg, Jackson, Kidd

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 September 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
I am looking for more information on my great, great grandmother who was Catherine Cullen.  She was from the townland of Ballinguile in County Wicklow, Ireland.  In researching her, I discovered that Matthew Cullen was from Ballinguile too.  Both of their tombstones, which are located in St. Patrick's Cemetery in New Matamoras, Ohio, state that they were from Ballinguile.  I believe there was some connection between the two; however, I am unsure if Matthew is a cousin, uncle, or brother. 

If you find out what state and town your Edward Cullen was born, please let me know.

I am not sure I have any additional information, but if I run across anything that might be of interest to you, I will e-mail you. 

Jackie
Matthew O'Brien (County Carlow or Wicklow) and Catherine Cullen (Ballinguile Wicklow)

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
Jackie and Mathew Cullens gr.gr.grandchild.  the Hacketstown records are on line on the Irish Family History Website.
Mathew Cullen married Mary Neil, Ballyshane, Wicklow on the 20th May, 1847
the Neils were from Aughrim and are in my Grandfather Traynor's tree.
Mathew and Mary Neils, first child John was christened in Hacketstown on 26th Dec., 1849 his godparents were Denis Cullen and Elizabeth Kehoe (this is probably a miss spelling and should be Keogh).  Hacketstown was the Parish for Ballinguile. Mathew and Mary must have been living there at that time.  I would assume Mathew and Denis were brothers. Hope this helps. Maura

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Maura,

Interesting, I wonder if there are two Matthew Cullens as the one I have married Mary Doyle from Dublin with Matthew being born in Ballinguile. 

MSchramm,

I have Matthew and Mary Cullen having a daughter Ellen born 1849 in Connecticut from the 1850 Ohio census.  Michael and Bridget Doyle, along with their son Patrick, lived with Matthew and Mary Cullen in Ohio.

Jackie

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
It is very interesting Jackie, I think your Doyles were 'my' Doyles that she was maybe working in Dublin?  I also think there is a strong possibility this is 'your' Mathew Cullen.   I'm rushing out now but will email you later if I find anything else. Maura.

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Jackie, I meant to say maybe your Mathew Cullens cousin. As the family tended to live in groups, it was most likely there were a few Cullen families at Ballinguile. I know there were Cullens in Aughrim as well.  It would be great to get a concrete lead.

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 September 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Jackie, Were Mathew Cullen and Mary Doyle married in Dublin, Canada or USA?

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 September 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Maura,
The best I can determine from the 1850 Ohio Census, is that Matthew and Mary Cullen were married somewhere in Ireland as their first child, John, age 3, was listed as being born in Ireland.  Their second child, Ellen, age 1, was listed as being born in Connecticut, U.S.

Also, from the 1850 Ohio Census, there is a James Cullen, living beside the Cullen and Doyle family.  James was listed as 38 years old and married to Rosannah (from Pennsylvania, U.S.) with the following children:  Peter - age 8, Mary Ann - 6, Harriett - 4, and Samuel - 2.

James (born about 1812 from Ireland) was close in age to Matthew (born about 1815), so I would think they are either brothers or cousins.

Jackie