Author Topic: Descendants of Thomas Storie 1842 & Jane Hendry.  (Read 18575 times)

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Thomas Storie 1842 & Jane Hendry.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 May 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
        I was hoping to hear from you again with your information on the Stories. I did try to send you a personal massage but don't know if it reached you.
                                regards Cathie

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 May 13 15:02 BST (UK) »
cathiemay,I have checked the cemeteries roundabout here which i have transcribed and here are a few.
Kirkhope cemetery, Alex Storie died 1927 aged 75yrs/Eliz Glendinning with dau Ellen and son John Killed in action 3-5-1915.      Alex Storrie died 1966 aged 83yrs
Ettrick Cemetery  Thomas Storie b about 1880 Mary Jane Amos.
Bowden nnNIL
Ashkirk Thomas Storey died 1923 aged 75yrs      Sandy Storie died 1996 aged 83yrs
Southdean Adam Story died 1608 but very difficult to read.
Abbotrule (now derilect) Marion Story died 1762 aged 60yrs /Robert Renwick  also a Bessie Storie died 1710 aged 58yrs /John Scott
In one of our family trees I have James Stevenson/Isabella Storie and her father David Storie and margaret lawson married 1833 borthwick.
Thats my complete story of the stories!!!!!!
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
          Thank you for your reply.  Quite a few of the Storie's  you mention are my lot and the information is very helpful.
                           regards Cathiemay.

Offline Janesallyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 August 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathiemay,
Just spotted your search this evening and realised you were talking about my ancestors. Thomas Storie and Isabella Graham were my great grandparents. Their children were George Andrew ( died in WW1) Thomas(married Mary Nesbitt), Jane ( my Grandmother after whom I am named and who married William Elliot), Elizabeth( married John Screen) and Isabella unmarried and who died a few yesrs ago aged 101. If this is helpful or you require further information please let me know.

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 August 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
           How wonderful to find another person descended from the same Stories as me.  The Thomas 1843 who was married to Jane Hendry(the parents of Thomas  1879 ) was a cousin of my mothers, Her father was Alexander the youngest brother of Thomas 1843.  Do you know if Thomas's 1879 brother John who died at Edinburgh in 1956 had any family ?. I think the 2 sisters didn't , and brother George had 1 son. I would love to hear anything you know about the Storie family.
               regards Cathiemay

Offline Janesallyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 August 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathie,
Lovely to hear from you. I've been asking my Mum ( Thomasina Storie Elliot ( maiden name)) about the family. She said that Elizabeth and Helen both died of TB. She doesn't think that Helen had family because they would have known. John married possibly 3 times but had no family. She remembers him as a very gentle man. George had one son, Thomas who had a son George and a daughter, Sybil, both alive and living in Hawick. We live in Northern Ireland although the rest of my Mum's family live in Scotland.  If you wish to e mail me directly I'm happy for rootschat to give you my e mail address.
Best Wishes,
Jane.

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 August 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
           Thank you for your prompt reply. I can hardly believe that I've found someone of the Storie race & is interested in family. I was in touch with George's ( maybe grt  grandson) but he didn't seem all that interested in the Stories. I think his grt grandfather died young & his grt. grandmother wouldn't have much to do with them after that. He also lived in Hawick. I don't think my mother knew about Thomas as she told me she had 4 cousins who used to live at Calaburn. I took the names down at the time on a piece of paper. they were Elizabeth, Helen John & George (who we had a photo of) . I suppose Thomas being the eldest would  be working away from home. I don't know how you go about sending a personal message, not very good with computers.     Its good to know that your mother has been christened with the female version of Thomas. There are so many Thomas's.  My mother was Mary Storie , she had 3 sisters , one died when a girl & 6 brothers one died as a baby & one. in W.W.1 They lived in Ettrick & Yarrow Selkirkshire. I am in South Scotland,on the border of Dumfriesshire/Lanarkshire. Now there isn't any of them left. I wish I had asked more questions when there was someone to ask.  On John's  death cert. it shows 2 marriages 1st to Margaret ? & 2nd Jessie Ann Masson . The Margaret was Margaret Scott Murray who he married in 1923 at Hawick. He married Jessie Ann Mason at Lasswade Midlothian in 1954, so that marriage didn't last long as he died 1956. Its so interesting that your mother met him  .Maybe Iv'e missed a marriage for him   I don't suppose your mother will have heard of Adam Storie born 1838  at Jedburgh. I can't find him after 1872, when his parents Thomas & Isabella Deans die at Dalcove  Mertoun.(I'm not sure if that's in Berwickshire or Roxburghshire)

Best Wishes
                Cathie.

Offline Janesallyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 August 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathie,
Thank you for your interesting message. My Mum hadn't heard of Adam Storie but could ask one of her sisters. She'd heard of a Sandy Storie but I'm not sure if that is your grandfather, it may be. I can certainly fill in the rest of the family tree from Thomas and Isabella Storie if you need them for your family tree. If you have other blank areas you wish to fill in I will check with my aunts.
Best Wishes,
Jane.

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 August 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
           Thank you for your reply.   I didn't think your Mum would have heard of Adam, he remains a mystery. I did find an Adam Storie  born around the same time in Scotland leaving from Liverpool to New York in 1872, but don't know if it was him. He had a couple of brothers in Canada, but there is no trace of him.  Another mystery I have was our Grt.Grt not sure how many grts. grandmother Helen Telfer who was born around 1823/24 at New Castleton  married to a Thomas Storie. It shows on her death cert., that she was illegitimate and her mother was Barbara Beattie. I can't find a Birth cert., for her, of course they didn't need them then.  I think my grandfather got called Sandy,  & I had an uncle called Alexander but he was called Eck, & his son was called Sandy Storie. Then there was an Alexander in Canada born Jedurgh 1822. I have all Thomas & Isabella Deans family accounted for except that Adam & Margaret. Thomas 1792 & Isabella are buried at Jedburgh Abbey along with their son Thomas & Helen Telfer,& grandson George. The stone is very worn & can hardly be read now. That Thomas's father another Thomas 1750 & his wife Margaret Brunton, I can't find where they are buried I have Robert at top of tree but don't know any thing about him.   Please Thank your Mother for the help she has given me.  I had a look at the 1911 census on Scotland People and saw that Thomas & Isabella Graham had 3 wee girls since the last census. I wondered what had happened to them, now you have told me.  Thank you.  If there is anything I can help you with , let me know.
      Best wishes Cathie.