Author Topic: *** COMPLETED *** Robert Tulloch b. 22 Oct 1769 in Sanday  (Read 15820 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
*** COMPLETED *** Robert Tulloch b. 22 Oct 1769 in Sanday
« on: Wednesday 18 November 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Orcadian 'cousins'

I'm on a search out on another branch of the tree ... for information about maternal a Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather Robert Tulloch who was born 22 Oct 1769 in Sanday and died 20 Feb 1837 in Earlsferry, Kilconquhar, Fife

He married Elizabeth Brown on 1 Feb 1792 in Kilconquhar, Fife and they had (as far as I can make out) nine bairns.  I've nothing on Elizabeth though!

Moving forward from them I have pretty well got as much information as I can bringing them into my Pearson / Drummond branch.

Can anyone connect with Robert?  If so, I look forward to hearing from you  :)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Tulloch b. 22 Oct 1769 in Sanday
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
 hi if you join the orkney family history society they might be able to help and walt custers site is very good
drever cursiter peace leslie towrie paterson  from orkney charlton sparks kerr young graham from   cumberland and dumfriesshire pirie velian from  orkney and aberdeenshire leslie and malcolmson  from fair isle  shetland

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 09:05 GMT (UK) »
A difficult one! there are 6 Robert Tullochs born in Sanday between 1760-1770. Have found 11 bairns born to Robert T and Elizabeth Brown so far: Peter, Robert 1794-, James 1797-, William 1799-, unnamed 1801-1801, John 1802, Anne 1805, Boston? 1808, David 1811, Andrew 1813 and Walter 1816

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi AKC

Sorry for the delay in replying but I didn't get an advance notice email with your reply :-[ and only found it when I happened to look at the site a few minutes ago!

That's the family I have in 'the tree' ... I now have ten bairns in total : Robert 1794-Bef. 1871, James 1797, William 1799, Unnamed 1801-1801, John 1802, Anne 1805, Boston 1808-1831, David 1811, Andrew 1813, Walter 1816-Bef 1902.  Peter is an extra one that I don't have!

Any chance you can find out any more information?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, there is a robert tulloch born 17 nov 1769 sanday to thos tulloch and mgt tulloch ( thats about the nearest i can get) could be one date is a christening and the other his actual birthdate ( 22 oct )
also found on a search in fife memorials: elisabeth brown wife of robert tulloch earlsferry 10 feb 1853
tulloch - child of robert tulloch earlsferry 9 dec 1851

there are several browns on the same site ( I have sent you a pm )

there is also a christening date for peter: 2 feb 1793

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Frisbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
I have a file on Robert Tulloch which I would like to send you to check the accuracy of what I have.

Regards
John

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 August 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Frisbee

Will PM you for information

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline mdundas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 April 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Chiad! We seem to have a clash of two different Robert Tullochs marrying the same woman and having the same children! I am descended from their son, also Robert. However, my research shows Robert snr. being born in Wemyss on the 23 Dec 1767, christened 27 Dec 1767 and married to Elizabeth Brown on 1 Feb 1792 in Kilconquhar. Their children were James, unnamed dead infant, William, David, John, Andrew, Ann, Peter, Boston, Walter, and Robert. Robert snr.'s  parents were Patrick Tulloch born circa 1747 in Wemyss ( not far from Kilconquhar) and Elizabeth Watson, and they were married on 24 July 1765. Patrick's parents were David Tillock (sic) born about 1704 ( still in Wemyss) who married Elspeth Brown (born 1702, Wemyss) in 1729 at...wait for it...Wemyss!
Please may I ask very nicely how you have worked out that your Robert Tulloch from Sanday is actually the father of this multitude of bairns?   :) It's just that I have worked on the tree and managed to get info going back to 1643 and am now worried I have been barking up the (wrong) family tree!! I have researched on the LDS and scotlandspeople sites and would be surprised to discover, given the strong links of the family for generations to the one little corner of Fife, that new blood had come down from Orkney. I am more than happy to be proven wrong though!

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Best wishes,

Maxine Dundas.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 April 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Maxine

Relax!  You're not barking up the wrong tree ;)

Since this thread was started I've (hopefully) managed to resolve that Sanday isn't in the equation and that Wemyss almost certainly is.

The misleading information was passed on to me by a friends and former neighbours (first cousins from Milngavie and Canada) who are both descended circuitously from the Tulloch line and who were convinced that Sanday was their origin - although it was from family talk.

Thanks to a 'cousin' in Canada, I've just about got it all straightened out!

Genealogy ... it's a haystack full of needles - but it is the threads that we need. ;D

I'll PM you later so we can discuss and exchange information.

Regards

Chiad Fhear