Author Topic: Christine Larkin  (Read 4186 times)

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christine Larkin
« on: Monday 02 September 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
Heres a problem that has me perplexed.My grandmother Christine Larkin was born on the 25/12/1884 at 33,Summerhill Dublin.In the baptism cert(on IrishGeneology) the father is James Larkin and mother Margaret McGlade but in the birth cert the mother is Margaret Mulligan.I found a marriage cert for a Larkin/McGlade in 1878 but none for a Larkin/Mulligan.Also in the period of 1879-1889 there are various siblingsof my grandmother born in Summerhill and Rutland Street some with Mulligan and some with McGlade as mother.Any ideas why the mothers maiden name is different?

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Christine Larkin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that she was married twice and on some certs she gives her maiden name and on other she gives her first marriage name? something similar happened in my family whereby my ancestor referred to his mother as his next of kin with his father's surname (Saul) despite the fact she had been remarried(Fleming) a number of years at that stage and her maiden name (Kelly) only appeared on her children's birth certs from her first marriage as far as I can tell.

Amy
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:41 BST (UK) »
Not too sure she was married twice on the marriage cert in 1878 her name is McGlade,spinster.
                                       Paul

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
ok next outlandish possibility, was she part of a step family? Was her mother married more than once and therefore she (margaret) had her father's name but maybe also used her step/adopted father's name? Long shot I know  :)
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
A similar situation occurs with my great grand mother.One thing that was suggested to  me was that her mother was married twice and she was a child of the first marriage and thus had if you like two maiden names.
Do you have the birth certs for Christines siblings.
Have you located the family on the 1901/1911 census to see how the children regard how they are related to each other?

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 September 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
Some of Christines siblings have McGlade and some have Mulligan.Sadly they are not on the 1901 census,I believe the parents had died and the children were split up,and in the 1911 census my grandmother was married.Her last *single*address was with cousins and aunt in Williams Place.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Have you checked to see did  Margaret McQuade Larkin die and that maybe then James went on to have children with a Margaret Mulligan.

You should be able to work it out on the dates of wach child born and the corresponding mother"s maiden name.

If this is a possibility - he may not have married the second Margaret OR the marriage may not have been eegustered OR she may have been a widow too and hence married James under a different surname !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 September 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Another thought is .....

Is it not possible that there were two different couples having children at the same time ie a James Larkin and a Margaret McQuade AND a James Larkin and Margaret Mulligan.

You will need to cross reference all your information to be sure that you are working with the correct couple.

Tara

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 September 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
I am sure after double checking the dates of all the children born that the Margaret McGlade /Mulligan are the same person but why she uses both I dont know .I was thinking that if her birth father died ,a Thomas Mc Glade ,and her mother remarried a Mulligan perhaps she would choose to use the two names .