Author Topic: Arbroath Year Book & East Forfarshire Directory Lookup Offer  (Read 32556 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arbroath Year Book & East Forfarshire Directory Lookup Offer
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 March 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Maybe worth mentioning again but deceasedonline.co.uk gives a lot of burial information for the Arbroath area. Angus is (I think) the only Scottish county represented. I used it a while back and found it to be very good.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline Searcher+

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 June 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
I am new to RootsChat, and not sure how to 'break  in' to an established correspondence, and (in this instance) ask a new question of Derek.

Please help, if you can offer guidance on this.

Searcher+

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 June 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Searcher+

Derek doesn't seem to have been replying to more recent requests - and he did say originally that he had the records "for a while".

It might be better to post a general question on the Fife board (if that's the relevant location) and see if anyone can answer.

Welcome to Rootschat, by the way!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Searcher+

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 June 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.

I will now need to find out how to post a general question!

Searcher+

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 12 June 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
Just to to the top of the board in question - actually should probably be this one - Angus - and there is a button at the right of the board for new topics.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Searcher+

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 12 June 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Arranroots for help.   I will return to this search in a little while.

Searcher+

Offline DennyDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • We're a' jock Tamson's Bairns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 June 10 01:47 BST (UK) »
Apologies to all. I've been away from the genealogy for a bit, but now I'm back.

genmom711
There are many Christie's  listed in the Arbroath voters roll for 1891.
However there is one Sam Christie listed who is described as a flaxdresser residing at 20 St Mary Street.

There are these Crammond's:

James, a mason, 16 church st.
David, fireman, 21 guthrie port.
P. , shoemaker, 56 brechin rd.
William, foreman, 13 st vigeans rd.
David, fireman, 16 east abbey st.
David, seaman, 8 leonard st.
Hugh, mill foreman, 21 sydney street.

IanCraik

Unfortunately there's only one Craik on the Arbroath voter roll in 1891, David, a salesman living at 15 george st.

I think the site you're after is www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk where you can view BMD's for Scotland. You'll get his cause of death there.

Searcher+
Fire away....
Black - Whitburn, Shotts, Airdrie
Robertson - Kilsyth, Denny, Govan
Russell - Lanarkshire
Hynd - Shotts
Miller - Fossoway & Tullibole
McGibbon - Argyleshire
Johnston - Kilarrow, Argyll
Garrett - Middlesex, London, Glasgow
Brown - Rothesay
Simpson - Leslie, Fife

Offline Searcher+

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 June 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
I have already (I think) sent a message regarding my interest in an address in Viewfield Road, Arbroath, in the 1890s, but I should perhaps have added that I am interested in the names Wyse, and Lothian, in Arbroath at that period.  That might help track down the address in question - or it might not.. there are a lot of unknowns in this enquiry.

Hope I have sent this correctly.

Thanks

Searcher+

PS:  I think I have attached an image of the name of the house I am interested in, as inscribed in the Register of Births.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 19 June 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
Also can you find out any information on the Carrie family from Abroath.

I have some Carries in my tree. A distant cousin of mine, Anne Brymer or Bremner, born in Brechin in 1824, married James Carrie, born in Arbirlot in 1820 to Peter Carrie and Ann Gowans. I have traced quite a few descendants of James Carrie and Anne Brymer.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.