Author Topic: Mitchell - How did they get to Quebec??  (Read 5402 times)

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mitchell - How did they get to Quebec??
« on: Wednesday 10 April 13 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

I have found two family members that appear to have gone to Magog, Quebec, Canada. (My apologies if I have spelt any of these names wrong)

Alexander Mitchell born Wishaw, Scotland 1852 died 6th April 1935 Magog Quebec
Robert Prentice Mitchell born Wishaw, Scotland 8th March 1863 died 1923? Quebec, Canada

I am seeking any help and information at all on these two brothers, especially how they got to Canada and did they go together, proof of death and where buried etc. ???

Alexander is still in Scotland in 1881 as he is on the Census and was witness to his mothers death. He married Margaret Wallace in Scotland.

Robert is also on the 1881 Scotland census but I do have hearsay that he married Sarah Heffernan in Canada around 1893.

Any help at all would be appreciated. ;D
Kind regards,
Liz
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell - How did they get to Quebec??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 06:36 BST (UK) »
Here is a Robert Mitchell on the 1891 Canada census in Magog (bottom image, line 15):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tee/

Here's a link to the 1901 census page which has Robert and I assume his children in the household of Alexander and his family in Magog:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=16348&highlight=3
It says Robert is married but his wife isn't with the family. I also noticed that there is a different birth date listed for Alexander.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 06:50 BST (UK) »
Here is Robert and sons on the 1911 census in Magog (line 35):
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=131339

Here is Alexander and his wife in Magog in 1911 (line 37):
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=131338

This appears to be Alexander and family in Montreal in 1891 although their daughter is listed as Isabella in 1891 and Jane M on the 1901 census (bottom image, line 5):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tef/

You can do further searches of the 1901 and 1911 Canada census at this website:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 06:55 BST (UK) »
Here is a Robert Mitchell on the 1891 Canada census in Magog (bottom image, line 15):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tee/

Here's a link to the 1901 census page which has Robert and I assume his children in the household of Alexander and his family in Magog:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=16348&highlight=10
It says Robert is married but his wife isn't with the family. I also noticed that there is a different birth date listed for Alexander.

Jacquie

Jacquie, thank you so much for your help. The 1851 looks good. Do you know what the address would have been ??? I don't think that is him on the 1901 as his middle initial says M and my Robert's is P, also if the James (Nephew) above him is his brother, the birth date for him is also wrong. But I do think that is him on the 1851. Just looking at your other posts now.

Kind regards,
Liz

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 07:11 BST (UK) »
Jacquie, I cannot thank you enough.

I believe that is Robert on the 1911 census as the birth is correct and when he was in Scotland he was a baker, this census says chef so I think that's him. I cannot quite make out the year he came to Canada. The Alexander ones match.

I would appear Alexander came out in 1887 and Margaret & Isabella 1888.

We are a step closer, thanks to you

Liz ;D

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 07:21 BST (UK) »
Jacquie, thank you so much for your help. The 1851 looks good. Do you know what the address would have been ??? I don't think that is him on the 1901 as his middle initial says M and my Robert's is P, also if the James (Nephew) above him is his brother, the birth date for him is also wrong. But I do think that is him on the 1851. Just looking at your other posts now.

Kind regards,
Liz

The M. Robert is Robert's son as is the James. Robert is on line 8 and his birth date is given as 8 Mar 1863. M. Robert and James are listed as nephews because they are in the household of Alexander who would be their uncle.

I have found a passenger list entry for Margaret and two children on the Norwegian which arrived in Quebec on 7 Jun 1887 (about 3/4 down the page):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0teg/

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 07:28 BST (UK) »
Before I get carried away in my excitement,

Jacquie, you are worth your weight in gold.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.   ;D ;D ;D

Liz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 08:10 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any marriages or deaths so far in the Drouin Collection (BMD parish records for Quebec) but I did find a baptism for Isabella McFarlane Mitchell, daughter of Alexander Mitchell and Margaret Wallace who was born 13 Aug 1881 and was baptized in St. Luke's Church (Church of England) in Magog on 10 Apr 1898.

Also Alexander (born 3 Apr 1885) and James (11 Aug 1888) Mitchell, sons of Alexander Mitchell and Margaret Wallace were baptized in St. Luke's Church on 24 Nov 1901.

The Church is still there. Here's a link to its website:
http://www.quebec.anglican.org/Front%20page/Parishes%20congregations/St%20Francis%20Deanery/Magog.htm

Jacquie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
I found a death for Robert Prentice Mitchell, son of Thomas Mitchell and Isabella McFarlane who was born in Wishaw on 8 Mar 1863. He died 28 Apr 1928 and was buried in Magog on 1 May 1928. That was probably the most detailed death entry I've personally seen in the parish records. The entry was made in the parish records for the United Church in Magog.

I also saw an entry in the Church of England parish records for Magog which confirmed the date of death you have for Alexander Mitchell. He was buried on 8 Apr 191935 in Pine Hills Cemetery, Magog. His wife, Margaret Wallace died 22 Dec 1922 and was also buried in Pine Hills Cemetery on 26 Dec 1922.

Jacquie