Author Topic: "Barbers Store" in North End Road, Fulham 1929  (Read 26994 times)

Offline phillper0906

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Barbers Store" in North End Road, Fulham 1929
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 June 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have a great Aunt who was killed by a lorry mounting the pavement and pushed her through the plate glass window of the store "Barbers" in North End Road, Fulham. Her name was Ellen Emms (Nee Dickens) and it happened in 1929. My question is: does anybody have any idea how I can find more information on the incident? Does the store "Barbers" still exist??? Any information appreciated. Cheers -  Beans ??? ??? ???

I hope this isn't old news as such, and I've seen the post is 3 years old, but here goes:

Hello Beans,
I've only just joined the site today and saw your post abt Barbers.
It was a department store, I worked in the shoe department for a time in 1985, although I actually worked for True-Form a few doors along and their parent company, British Shoe Corporation.
On the 1st floor was the cafeteria above the entrance on that corner, the staff canteen was too the left of that.

There's currently a discussion on Facebook about Barbers and the section - "I grew up in Fulham", I can't tell when it closed other than probably the late 80's. If you look at the picture of the shop above, the newer section is all that remains of the original shop, on the 1st floor was the cafeteria the rest was redeveloped. That bit is now a sports shop. Although I did work there's very little on the web about the shop itself, it's almost like it never happened.

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 March 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
that brings back memories , used to shop there all the time and then go up the road to Manzies the pie and mash shop, those were the days, oops sound like my nan now.
Does anybody remember the name of the Photographers they had inside as I had some pics taken there and Husband has lost them? wondered if they still existed anywhere now.
Guttentag Keen Kemp Knight Miller Muller Rose Weinberg Weisberg

Offline Fulham111

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 April 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Barbers I loved that store me and my mum used to go in there all the time my mum loved to go in and have a look around we always ended upstairs for tea
Later my sister worked there and then I worked there for a while in diy, carpets. Toys and lots of other departments I loved that job ,I miss barbers it had everything you could ever need  mr barber always called me by my name  he was always curtious  such a shame it went I worked there late 80's
I think his son took it over but it never lasted such a shame  best shop in Fulham

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 April 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
dont know whether this has been posted already but found the newspaper article on Maria Ellen Emms killed outside Barbers in 1928

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 April 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
Fulham you must have worked with a friend of ours Mrs Ann Woodley