Author Topic: Burial Index's for Newbattle and Newton  (Read 75565 times)

Offline Elaine48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Index's for Newbattle and Newton
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 February 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine

Do you have any mention of Sneddon/en, Snaddon/en in your index.  A Janet Easton married a William Sneddon, coalminer c. 1800, probably Muiravonside , Stirling. They are in the 1841 census for Cranston, but Janet is widowed by 1851.

There is reference on Family Search to the death of Janet Easton, wife of William Sneddon in 1854, "Newton Grange, Newbattle", but no mention of the source of the information.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

There are loads of Sneddon's with various spellings but none to match your dates. I do know that very often a person may die in the parish they lived in but were taken back to their parish of birth for burial. This may be the case in this instance particulary as they married in a different county altogether.Sorry I couldn't find them.

Elaine

Offline Elaine48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 February 09 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the very informative reply, Elaine.

Hopefully (and I mean HOPEFULLY!), my intentions for 2010 are to travel to the UK for a month or so, and drive through all(?) the towns/villages of England, Scotland and Ireland where the ancestors lived. A lot of planning, but also very rewarding. No doubt Newbattle, Dalkeith, etc will be included.

Once again, thanks for your time and effort. Even though you were unable to help with my specific question, your replies were very helpful.

Les

You are very welcome Les. I do hope you manage your trip. You will enjoy it so much, it's just a thrill to see where our ancestors lived (and died). When I lived in Scotland esp. I had no interest in the history let alone my own
families history until I moved away, now I cant get enough of it. I also lived in England so if you need any help with the planning let me know.

Elaine

Offline tom505

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 February 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elaine for trying
Tom
Henderson, Stoddart, Baillie, Bathgate, Denholm, Hardie, Whitecross, Whitson, Young, Morrison, Tosh, Sneddon, Crookston, Edington, Anderson

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 February 09 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Elaine - forgot to say  ::)
Newbattle please
Sueky
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline arfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 May 09 02:51 BST (UK) »
I'm a direct descendant of Janet Easton/Sneddon.  I have lived in NZ since 1956.

Alastair Sneddon

Offline arfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 May 09 03:04 BST (UK) »
Although I've lived in NZ since 1956, I've been 'home' a number of times.  About 1997 I was driving towards Newtongrange where my fathers family had lived.  I was smoking and threw my butt out  of the window.  The butt landed in the backseat and I stopped  in a hurry.  After getting rid of the cigarette butt I noticed cemetery gates across the road.  It was the Newbattle cemetery!

I went over and spoke to some workmen and told them that I thought my grandfather (Alexander Nicholson McKenzie Fraser SNEDDON) and grandmother (Elizabeth Gibb SNEDDON nee WALKER) were buried there.  They looked up the register book and took me to their unmarked graves!!!!!!!!

Talk about coincidences.

I see from one of the previous posts there was and inquiry about William Sneddon and Janet Easton - they are both antecedents of mine.

Alastair

Offline tom505

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 May 09 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Alastair

We seem to have common antecedents in William Sneddon and Janet Easton. I'll provide my email address in a personal message if you'd like to share information.

"Tom"
Henderson, Stoddart, Baillie, Bathgate, Denholm, Hardie, Whitecross, Whitson, Young, Morrison, Tosh, Sneddon, Crookston, Edington, Anderson

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 May 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Tom

Moderators don't like email addresses in topic replies (attracts spam). Can you edit your message, and delete the email address. You can send the email address to Alastair via a Personal Message, and the Moderators won't "rouse" on you.  ;D

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 May 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Could you look for the name Aitchison, Acheson, Aitcheson or any other like it for me?
Thank you.
Aitchison Scotland, Hull. Burrows Hull. Gibson Hull. Locking Linc's, Hull. Remington,Rimmington York's. Wales, York's. Ward, Hull. Whiteley Linc's, Hull. Wilkinson Thorne, Hull. Yeaman York's.